X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harbor Freight Lift?

Not a review but a question...

Harbor Freight has this lift for $299

I know that one must be careful about tools from Harbor Freight (i.e. some junk, some OK).

There are two stores around me and I have a 20% coupon, I am thinking about getting one, but would like some user info.

Has anyone had experience with this lift and/or what is the general opinion on lifts?

Thanks
    Tim

HOLY SH*T! Mr. Quiet actually posts on the GSR!

Nice to hear from you, Tim.

While I don't have any experience with the Harbor Freight lift I do have an opinion on Harbor Freight stuff in general. While their stuff is certainly not professional quality, I think a lot of it is more than good enough for a home mechanic. I have a lot of items that I couldn't justify paying big dollars for better stuff that work just fine for my needs. Examples are a 6" digital caliper for $15.99, .001" dial indicator and magnetic base for around $25, tap and die sets, and impact socket sets for a fraction of the cost of Craftsman or other better quality tools.

I'd say you won't find a lift for anywhere close to that price anywhere else. I think it would be fine for home use. If you buy one, please do a product review on it. I've been considering getting a lift myself. These old knees don't enjoy getting down to bike level anymore.

Thanks,
    Joe

P.S. How far are you from Mid-Ohio Raceway? Cathy and I are going to Vintage Motorcycle Days at the end of July. It would be great to hook up with you and Tanya for some cold ones and some laughs.
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy

While I don't have any experience with the Harbor Freight lift I do have an opinion on Harbor Freight stuff in general. While their stuff is certainly not professional quality, I think a lot of it is more than good enough for a home mechanic. I have a lot of items that I couldn't justify paying big dollars for better stuff that work just fine for my needs. Examples are a 6" digital caliper for $15.99, .001" dial indicator and magnetic base for around $25, tap and die sets, and impact socket sets for a fraction of the cost of Craftsman or other better quality tools.

I'd say you won't find a lift for anywhere close to that price anywhere else. I think it would be fine for home use. If you buy one, please do a product review on it. I've been considering getting a lift myself. These old knees don't enjoy getting down to bike level anymore.

Thanks,
      Joe

P.S. How far are you from Mid-Ohio Raceway? Cathy and I are going to Vintage Motorcycle Days at the end of July. It would be great to hook up with you and Tanya for some cold ones and some laughs.
      Joe - Yes, I do post now and then!! I agree with you about tools from Harbor Freight. Does the job for the price. Thanks for your thoughts.

Tonya and I are roughly 2 hours from Mid-Ohio. My son and I (Tonya will be in Indy for some NASCAR thing) are going up there the week after Vintage Days for the Super-Bike weekend. She is Reno for the next couple of days, but when she gets back I will mention you and the significant other will be around. You never know we might be able to get up there and have a few 'leg-humpers' or whatever you were enjoying at the Sleep Inn.

Thanks for the input.

Tim

Comment

Another Option / Pro Lift GLX

I purchased this lift last winter and have been kicking myself for not getting a lift sooner. It is heavy and very stable and now I just roll the bike up and put it on the center stand. There is no side to side table movement with the bike up in the air. I do not even use the wheel chocks to help hold up the bike. If you are doing some serious wrenching add a couple of ratchet straps for additional stability. The company is located in Indy and were very nice to deal with. The only drawback is that it does eat up some floor space in the garage. This is the internet address to check them out. MMMM Video

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
        81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
        83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
        06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
        AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

I don't have one personaly, but I have a buddy that does. I have used it to work on my bike and some of his projects. It works GREAT!! If you plan on putting a fully dressed Hardly or Goldwing on it you may be in for some trouble though! Don't exceed the weight limit for the lift and you shouldn't have any problems. He has never had any serious issues with the lift so far (he's had it about 8 months). He uses it to lift his KZ650 and it seems to be smooth and sturdy.
          I'm going to wait a while and see if I can get a good deal on a used shop lift from some local guys, but if that doesn't work out, I'm buying the one from Harbor Freight.
          I hope that helps...

Take care and ride safe

Comment

Hey! Where did you get the 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight? I'm going to go drop $200 or so there this weekend...

/\/\ac

Comment

Originally posted by Macmatic
              Hey! Where did you get the 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight? I'm going to go drop $200 or so there this weekend...

/\/\ac
              Send me an email to mcj (dot) usmc (at) gmail (dot) com and I'll send you their latest emailed ad with the 20% coupon.

Comment

For anybody interested in a less expensive bike jack, HF also has this, which would be $48 after coupon (although I don't know if you'll be able to find it in store or not).

Comment

I just bought one of these table lifts a couple days ago, and was a little leary (HF of course...), and this seems to work good so far. As stated above, it is sturdy, no unwanted movement so far. I tell you what though, unloading it from a jacked up 4x4 alone was a chore. It ended up dropping from my truck, I thought being HF, it would be toast already.... nope, works perfect. Should have bought one a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy

Thanks,
                    Joe

Joe - Would be nice to meet your better half, but Vintage Days Weekend Tonya and I will not be able to make it up there. She has her MSF training and I am going to try and get some garage time. Started working on a 850G...and since she will be busy both days...I can have some quality time with my wrench!

We will definitely be back for the Brown County Get Together next year, should bring her for that.

Tim aka Mr. Quiet

BTW - I didn't buy the lift...never got around to getting out to HF.

Comment

Originally posted by tpeeples
                      Joe - Would be nice to meet your better half, but Vintage Days Weekend Tonya and I will not be able to make it up there. She has her MSF training and I am going to try and get some garage time. Started working on a 850G...and since she will be busy both days...I can have some quality time with my wrench!

We will definitely be back for the Brown County Get Together next year, should bring her for that.

Tim aka Mr. Quiet

BTW - I didn't buy the lift...never got around to getting out to HF.
                      Tim,

Thanks for the update. Enjoy your garage time. I'll see you in Brown County if not sooner.

Joe
                      IBA# 24077
                      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
                      X