Blue Job Header Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Job Header Cleaner

I was looking for something to take the gold and blue off my V&H pipe. After reading several reviews and talking with a bunch of people, I bought some "Blue Job" chrome cleaner.
    WOW!!
    It comes in a small container and is a powder... about the consistency of ground up chalk. Wet the cloth that comes with it with a little water and dab into the powder. Smear it on until you get a thick paste and rub, rub, rub. A bit of elbow grease is required, but it works GREAT! My pipes again look brand new. I cannot see that it scratched or dulled the chrome finish at all. I am impressed.

I bought mine off ebay. There is a seller that will sell you two cans for $20.00 shipping included. It looks like one can will do one set of headers.

I highly recommend this product.
    Last edited by renobruce; 07-14-2006, 03:11 AM.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Originally posted by renobruce
    I was looking for something to take the gold and blue off my V&H pipe. After reading several reviews and talking with a bunch of people, I bought some "Blue Job" chrome cleaner.
    WOW!!
    I comes in a small container and is a powder... about the consistency of ground up chalk. Wet the cloth that comes with it with a little water and dab into the powder. Smear it on until you get a thick paste and rub, rub, rub. A bit of elbow grease is required, but it works GREAT! My pipes again look brand new. I cannot see that it scratched or dulled the chrome finish at all. I am impressed.

I bought mine off ebay. There is a seller that will sell you two cans for $20.00 shipping included. It looks like one can will do one set of headers.

I would highly recommend this product.
    Bruce---Based on previous posts I've see from you, you seen like a pretty Stand Up Guy---I just place my order, so I'm counting on you! Don't let me down---LOL All seriousness aside, I hope to have the results you had. I'm about due for a string of good luck! And Thanks!!!! for sharing!

Comment

Yeah, I'm happy. I'm doing mine with the pipes still on the bike. The cloth they include is about 2 inches wide by 8 inches long. You can use it like a shoe shine cloth to get to the tight areas.

I don't know how bad your pipe is... mine is pretty new and had a few small spots of blue and the rest was gold... about 1/3 down the pipes. But I would think it will make any set of pipes look better. It's also supposed to remove burnt on shoe rubber and the like.

I should have taken some before pics. I'll post an after pic tomorrow.
      Last edited by renobruce; 07-14-2006, 03:14 AM.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Almost forgot to post an after pic. Here's one I took today. I spent a little more time on the pipes and they came out looking great!

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I can tell first hand, those pipes look spectacular. Thanks for the reminder Bruce, I had forgotten all about it. Next stop, ebay!

Comment

Originally posted by scotschult
            Bruce---Based on previous posts I've see from you, you seen like a pretty Stand Up Guy---I just place my order, so I'm counting on you! Don't let me down---LOL All seriousness aside, I hope to have the results you had. I'm about due for a string of good luck! And Thanks!!!! for sharing!
            Did you get it and use it yet? I am curious to hear your results.
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Not Yet

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I got it, but no, I haven't tried it yet (for the intended purpose). Been busy trying to get the rest of the bike lined up and road ready (does it ever end?) I did try it on the cam end covers when I had them off retorquing the head. They're fairly dingy. Not really impressed with it, but then they're not a true chrome. The reason I was interested is that this bike has sat for approx. 17 years, mostly indoors, and there's a fairly good amount of surface rust, which I saw this is supposed to be able to help. No bluing or golding. As soon as I get around to it, I'll let you know my impression.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scotschult
                Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I got it, but no, I haven't tried it yet (for the intended purpose). Been busy trying to get the rest of the bike lined up and road ready (does it ever end?) I did try it on the cam end covers when I had them off retorquing the head. They're fairly dingy. Not really impressed with it, but then they're not a true chrome. The reason I was interested is that this bike has sat for approx. 17 years, mostly indoors, and there's a fairly good amount of surface rust, which I saw this is supposed to be able to help. No bluing or golding. As soon as I get around to it, I'll let you know my impression.

Scott
                For rusty stuff, I use Meguire's (sp) cleaner/wax, or Mother's chrome polish. I tried the Blue Job stuff on my front fender and it didn't do anything special.
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Looks like it does a great job Bruce. Thanks for the tip.

I notice that the header still has rusty looking stains in the crack under the clamps where it bolts onto the head. If you use a Dremel tool with a felt polishing tip and some of your magic polish compound mentioned here I'd bet you could get that out of there too!

You really do have a knack for making these bikes look great my friend. I admire your work and am jealous of your time!

Rock on! 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                    You really do have a knack for making these bikes look great my friend. I admire your work and am jealous of your time!

Rock on! 8)
                    TIME? A wife, two kids, and three businesses! :shock: I do what I can when I can. It's relaxation for me. I enjoy it. But sometimes it's only a few minutes a day. But those minutes add up! :-D
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I just tried some yesterday to get some gold off my pipes. I ran it a tad lean after my carb rebuild, so they golded out for about 3 inches. Worked great. I spent about 20 minutes and they looked great. I looked at the blue job web site and they had a MSDS sheet on the stuff. (Material Safety Data Sheet). It says oxide powder and Juglans regia. Juglans regia is a scientific name for Walnuts. I'm guessing it contains ground up walnut shells, which I found is used for metal polishing. Wonder if you could make some yourself out of dried shells. Worth a try since BJ was 11.00 for .5 oz where I bought it.

Comment

Just an update. Since cleaning my pipes, I have put about 300 miles on the bike. My pipes are still looking great! No golding or blueing. After I cleaned them I used some carnabura wax on them.

I think initially I may have not cleaned the pipes good enough after installing them. That may have been what caused the blueing in the first place (I'm NOT running lean). Make sure you get all the oil and fingerprints off your pipe before running it.
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Great Stuff

Just used Blue Job on my pipes today. 26 years of grime some gold and blueing came right off. A bit pricy but it works great.
                          80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Same here. After reading your post a couple of days ago, I went shopping locally, and found it at a Harley dealer. At $11 for a half ounce, thought this powder should be illegal or something! But after a few minutes of light rubbing, my headers lost many years of blue & gold. Gonna hang on to this stuff and see what it does for my wrinkles in about 20 years.
                            Rocketman

Comment

Working...
                            X