Flatout Motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flatout Motorcycles

Has anyone done business with Flatout Motorcycles in Indiana?
    http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/fi...ion_detail.asp

Comments, good or bad? Prices seem attractive.
    Thanks.

I haven't really needed to order any parts in the year or so since I discovered their site, so I don't have firsthand experience.

However, they are a large Suzuki/Yamaha/Aprilia dealership that's been here in Indy a long time and just opened a second location, so they're doing something right. They always have plenty of bikes in stock, the store looks neat and clean, and they carry lots of inventory in riding gear and supplies. To me, that's a sign of a well-run, healthy business.

I do like how they give you real part numbers, and I like that they're pretty up-front about the fact that you're getting low prices because you're doing the work of looking them up. If you come in and make their parts monkeys get off their duffs, you will get charged more. I kinda like a dealer that tells it like it is.

Plus, they're about 20 minutes from my office, so I could go down there and yell at them if needed.

I think they're a good bet, and I do intend to order parts from the web site next time I need a batch.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
      If you come in and make their parts monkeys get off their duffs, you will get charged more.
      Your lucky there, where I am at, all you get is a blank stare when you ask for a part for an older bike, then they start hassling you about how you should be riding this new 2006 bling bike instead...

Comment

Thanks BW. I think I'll give them a try when I'm ready. I wonder if they ship direct from the Suzuki warehouse to you or if they ship from Suzy to them then reship to the customer.

Comment

Well...I just ordered a side cover from them. Considerable less expensive than bikebandit. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Later,
          Bob T.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Try mrcycles.com ,deep discount and also i had very good service from them.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco
              Thanks rusty.
              I quick check shows that at Mr. Cycles the intake boots I'll be looking for are 21.09 and the orings are 2.18 while at Flatout the boots are 17.40 and the orings are 1.44.
              Now for all I know Flatout might have a flat 25.00 shipping charge while Mr Cycles charges 6.00, which would effectively wipe out the savings. Hopefully I can find someone who has bought from them and if not, when I do you can be sure I'll post my impressions right here!

Comment

I looked up the parts for my x's atv and mrcycles was cheeper and they were also for the honda carb kits i ordered, haven't compared suzki parts yet.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by chiphead
                  Thanks BW. I think I'll give them a try when I'm ready. I wonder if they ship direct from the Suzuki warehouse to you or if they ship from Suzy to them then reship to the customer.
                  All the parts sites and dealers order from Suzuki in batches, then separate and ship the orders from their location. Hopefully, the batches are daily, but I know some small Podunk dealers order just once a week. As I said, this is a pretty large Suzuki dealer, so I'm sure they're ordering daily. Indianapolis is centrally located to much of the US population, so shipping to most people should be pretty fast.

You could certainly call Flat Out and ask about shipping charges and how often online orders are placed. I doubt they're going to gig you too badly for shipping.

If you need parts ASAP and don't mind paying a few bucks more, Bikebandit.com is a good option. They are located in California, which must be where the Suzuki parts warehouse is, because anything that's not backordered gets shipped from BB in three days or less. I've never had to wait more than a week, and their shipping charges are very reasonable. BB costs a bit more, but their service and speed is top-notch. BB is also a good option when, for example, I need a few odds and ends for one of my Suzukis, a friend's Kawasaki, and my wife's Honda -- they can all go on the same order with just one shipping charge. Bikebandit usually charges $4 to $6 shipping for small-ish boxes.

None of the parts sites or dealers keep parts inventory in stock -- they are all simply middlemen that offer a way for you to place orders with the Suzuki warehouses. If you do some digging, you'll find that most of the fiche interfaces and dealer sites are provided by Power Sports Network (PSN). The dealer pays a certain fee, chooses options such as pricing and whether part numbers are visible, and PSN does the rest.
                  Last edited by bwringer; 08-10-2006, 08:58 AM.
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Good info. Thanks bw.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco
                      Thanks for the tip!

Looks like they have great Honda parts prices and lousy Suzuki parts pricing. But a friend of mine is doing a lot of work on an 1971 CB350, and he's been having trouble finding a parts fiche with decent prices. He'll be VERY happy.

My wife's Honda might need a few odds and ends, too...
                      Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam
                        Well...I just ordered a side cover from them. Considerable less expensive than bikebandit. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Later,
                        Bob T.
                        Great! Keep us posted. Thanks.

Comment

Ordered from Flatout on 08/14, Received all my parts yesterday, 08/23. $105 in parts, $14 shipping. Came packaged well. No complaints. They are the cheapest I've found yet. I'll deal with them again.

Comment

Thanks for bringing this back up....forget to give ya an update....
                            My NOS sidecover arrived in about a week, nicely packed and at a price that was cheaper than anyone else I found.

I've since put in two more orders that I'm still waiting for.

Seems like a good place. E-mail updates are quick to arrive.

Bob T.
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Good to hear that Flat Out is the real deal!

Do you happen to remember if they had a "pick up" option for the shipping? They're maybe 15 minutes from my office, and it would be a good excuse to go slobber on the new bikes and gear.
                              Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                              X