Front brake switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake switch

I ordered a new front brake switch from Partsnmore.com last month, mostly to help me reach the minimum order amount. I had broken the little plastic piece that holds the spring and the copper contact, and have been riding without the brakelights working with the front brake. I just got done installing the pieces to make the switch work again. The replacement part is an improved design over the stock parts. The copper contact has dimples on the sides, and the sliding piece has cutouts in it. This works to hold the pieces together so you don't have to look for the spring and contact piece several times while reassembling. For $6.00 you get all pieces needed for the switch, wires, screws, cover, slide, spring, and contact. Definately worth getting whenever you order from them, just to have on hand. Their $35 minimum can be a pain, but the parts are cheap enough to be worth stocking up on stuff.
    JP
    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
    1992 Concours
    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
    2007 FJR

Actually, I prefer that the front brake light switch not be hooked up. The rear works fine, and there are rare occasions when you might prefer to be able to nail the brakes w/o the light coming on. I'll leave it t o your imagination what those times might be.

Since most of the time you use both brakes, the light will come on to signal anyone behind you.

But I also just hooked up my front brake light switch (briefly) for getting the bike through inspection. Then I got two years worth of tag stickers and put the little parts back in a zip lock bag and set it on a shelf.

Comment

I rode for years without the front vrake light connected. I know what times you are refering to, but lately I have noticed too many drivers on my commute following a little closer than I'm comfortable with, and my insitnive reaction when suddenly braking to slow just a bit is with the front brake. I'd rather not give some troll in a cage a legitimate, if lame, excuse for rear-ending me in traffic.
      JP
      1992 Concours
      2007 FJR

Comment

Lame? I guess any excuse or REASON that someone hit you is lame. In my mind the only lame thing is that you put yourselves in that position.

Comment

Originally posted by quakeholio View Post
          Lame? I guess any excuse or REASON that someone hit you is lame. In my mind the only lame thing is that you put yourselves in that position.
          So just what do you propose as a solution to someone tailgating you? When I commute, there is almost always a stretch of road where traffic is heavy. I travel in the far left lane as much as possible to avoid people entering and exiting the freeway. When trafic slows, you sometimes end up with someone on your a$$, whether you like it or not. Until traffic starts to break up, there's not much you can do about it, unless you pull off and park until rush hour is over.
          JP
          1992 Concours
          2007 FJR

Comment

Ive heard missles strapped to the sidw of your bike is a deterrent, also i have seen bikes with stickers on them that say "I ride a bomb, may explode at anytime", that may help too.

Comment

I found that a pressure switch as a replacement for the stock switch is a great upgrade. They are fairly cheap and very reliable. If you have dual front brakes, it can go in the Tee fitting under the tripple tree, thus eliminating handlebar wires.

Just a heads up.

Comment

What would be an occasion when you would not want someone behind you know you are applying your brake(s)?

Since the front brake does 80% of the stopping even if you wanted this option would it not make more sense for the rear brake?
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                  What would be an occasion when you would not want someone behind you know you are applying your brake(s)?

Since the front brake does 80% of the stopping even if you wanted this option would it not make more sense for the rear brake?
                  When evading a car with flashing lights, it can be useful to turn off the bike, kill the lights, and pull into yard with some large shrubs. The brake lights just warn the pursuers that they need to slow down and look in dark corners, instead of blasting past at high speed so you can resume your ride in the opposite direction. Not that I would condone any illegal activities; but there are some that allege that I took liberties with several traffic laws in my younger years.:-\" ;-)
                  JP
                  1992 Concours
                  2007 FJR

Comment

Originally posted by jpaul View Post
                    When evading a car with flashing lights, it can be useful to turn off the bike, kill the lights, and pull into yard with some large shrubs. The brake lights just warn the pursuers that they need to slow down and look in dark corners, instead of blasting past at high speed so you can resume your ride in the opposite direction. Not that I would condone any illegal activities; but there are some that allege that I took liberties with several traffic laws in my younger years.:-\" ;-)

well put;-)

Comment

Lots of times I use my front brake on it's own to only check speed a little. Wouldn't want to go without. Plus, I have had cops do a safety check of my bike at the same time they are writing a massive citation. Getting pulled for 40 over the limit is bad, and they will nail you anyway they can!!
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

My question for those that disconnect your front brake light switch is......
                        You must not live in a state that has no M/C inspections or how do you fudge them????
                        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                        2000 Kawasaki Concours
                        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

No regular vehicle inspection here in Ohio. If there were, I probably wouldn't bother removing the switch pieces. I'd never be able to find them to replace them at inspection time.
                          JP
                          1992 Concours
                          2007 FJR

Comment

the front back switch is one of the prioities on mine -since thats the only brake i use unless Im stoped at lights on a hillstart...

my rear break is called 2nd gear ffs...only time i use it is creeping between stopped traffic under allil throttle to keep the bike up str8 and to kill any wobbles at walking pace manouvering....:shock:

Comment

Working...
                            X