Brown County, Indiana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown County, Indiana

We've kicked off the GS rally season for the last five years by blowing off the cobwebs in and around Brown County, Indiana.

Of course, these roads are worth a visit virtually any time they're not covered in ice. I live about 1.5 hour from Nashville, Indiana, and I ride down there at least every other weekend.

Here's the site I created for the 2006 BC GS Rally, complete with maps, routes, and all the associated info you'd need for a visit any time of year.

If any GS-ers are planning a Brown County run, please PM and let me know -- there's a good chance we'll be able to meet up and I can show you some of the back roads.

From the introduction to the site:

There's more than corn in Indiana...

Indiana is boring and flat, right? Corn and bean fields as far as the eye can see, and not a hill or curve in sight. Well, sort of.

Truth is, the glaciers stopped scraping everything flat just south of Indianapolis. We don't have anything you could call a mountain, but the hilly terrain hides some of the finest motorcycling roads you'll find anywhere.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Dammit Brian, you beat me to the punch. Of course it's better since you are actually in the area and are willing to give guided tours.

I second this motion. These are some great roads that have been mentioned in numerous magazines. Most of them have good visibility too which is something that is short in supply here in western PA.

IN135 and IN58 are the sweetest...

J
    16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
    13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
    78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
    Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
    02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
    12 Aprilia Shiver 750
    82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Another vote for Brown County.

Here is a link to some of my photos from 2005 Brown County Ride, has some photos of the roads for anybody that is thinking the same thing I did "why bother going to Indiania, isnt it just corn fields or Indianapolos or Gary or more corn fields...?...?".

Store photos and docs online. Access them from any PC, Mac or phone. Create and work together on Word, Excel or PowerPoint documents.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I'll add my vote for BC! I've only had the opportunity to make it there once, but it was a blast.:-D I'd easily compare those roads to Crawford County in WI.

Brad tt

Comment

We scouted out some SCHWEEEEEEET back roads in the Brown County area this Sunday. You can't go as fast on the county roads because the road surfaces and sight lines are worse, but the scenery is just absolutely gorgeous.

If I can figure out how to give directions that make sense, we'll have to visit a few of these at next year's BC rally.

Al and I have become breakfast regulars at the Story Inn, so that will likely figure in to our rally plans next year. Any time you can find a gourmet breakfast in the middle of some heavenly twisties, you just have to stop.

Again, the welcome mat is out for any GS-ers visiting or living in central Indiana. If the weather is decent, or even if it's not, there's a good chance I'm visiting the twisties.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Two years ago when we had the high water during the Brown County Rally, the road was closed at Story. I hit 'n missed goat trails to get to the campsite for over an hour, (left my map at home and my sense of direction decided nonsense would be more fun). Some great roads but nothing you could even begin to go fast on. Ended up going around a really classy lake with gated communities, (yep in Brown County, Indiana...well it could have been a county over, still don't know where I went), got some strange looks, too. Had all my camping gear on the bike, guess folks thought I wanted to pitch a tent on their lakeshore. Nice ride even if I did get to the campground late.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2006, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X