eBay Carb Balancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eBay Carb Balancer

I know, I know, the Carbtune II is the way to go, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience w/this..
    Cheap Carb Balancer

The price is very atractive. The balancing method seems awkward. This wants to balance two carbs at a time, to an equal vacuum. I don't know about your bike, but on both of my models, the balance is 1 & 4 equal, and 2 &3 equal but lower. Meaning you have a pattern on a mercury sync stick that looks like -_ _- And on my 1100, #1 2 & 4 are slaved to #3. I don't know how I could do that with this device.

Still for the price it would be an interesting experiment. Are you gonna get one? If you do, let us know how it works (and then let me borrow it!)

Comment

Before you spend money on this consider making something similar yourself.

Mercury isn't necessary, all you need is a liquid and a clear tube. For the liquid, water with some dye works. Some pieces of clear vinyl tubing tacked to a board makes the columns. Put the lower ends of the tubing in a bucket of dyed water and connect the upper ends to the vacuum ports.

Use three feet or so of tubing per column to make sure you don't pull water into the engine.

Graduations on the column aren't necessary since you are really just looking for the highest equal vacuum across the cylinders, but if you must you could always tack a ruler to your board.

Comment

As Tom said, tuning 2 carbs at a time is not going to work if you want to do it right. The whole idea behind synchronizing carbs to balance all 4 together. An adjustment on one carb can affect the others slightly, becasue engine speeds and effeciency of a given cylinder can change how the other cylinders are burning. Maybe you have a twin?

If you are going to be involved with motorcycles for any length of time, get a real synch tool. And the Morgan is awesome, but the Motion Pro tools work just as well- if you don't mind some liquid mercury in your shop.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
        X