PA ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PA ride

Bill Hawley(LeMans750) and I took a spectacular weekend ride out of Buffalo down to north central PA over the weekend. We took RT 219 down to Bradford PA, then RT 46 to Smethport, there we picked up RT 6 to Sweeden Valley then took Rt 44 to Waterville. At waterville we camped at the Happy Valley Campground, which is a nice campground with very friendly and helpful proprietors.The campground has cabins,and both primitave and water/electric tent/camper sites.
    The weekend weather was spectacular, warm and sunny days and cool clear nights. The Trip down 219 to Bradford was beautiful, with the fall colors and great hills and valleys. From Bradford to Sweeden Valley was also Spectacular, the hills and valleys of North PA are beautiful. The fun really begins when you turn south east on RT 44. It is a beautiful twisting country road that goes through forests,hills and valleys,with many tight turns with some nice esses. We set up camp and then went for a ride up Grand Canyon State park, a truly beautiful place to sight see. We were very impressed by the town of Wellsboro PA. It is a really striking small town full of beautiful victorian homes and a busy little down town section.
    There are many great roads in Northern Pa, it will be worth the trip for anyone who wants to spend a weekend riding and camping. This was one of the nicest camping weekends I have ever had, good friends,good roads,good weather and good beer around the campfire.O

Hey!!! I'm in Dunkirk, which had to be on your route. I'm still waiting to get a bike in my hands, but should have a dirt bike soon for some winter play and hopefully I'll be ready for the road next season. Let me know if you want to come out and ride some dirt over the Winter!

Comment

Sounds great, how do you think my 1200 Bandit will do in the dirt?

Comment

I know the area well

My brother lives in Williamsport, and used to have a general store and restaurant on Rt. 287 in English Center, between Williamsport and Morris. It is beautiful riding country, if you watch out for the deer and occasional bear. My brother was riding up 287 toward Wellsboro when a bear ran onto the road from a hillside, and only the good double-front-discs, and the manuverability of his Virago kept him from hitting it. He said he couldn't have avoided it in a cage. He went by so close, he could smell the nasty rankness of the bear.
        1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by red bandit View Post
          Sounds great, how do you think my 1200 Bandit will do in the dirt?

lol... put some nobbies on it and it will be JUST FINE!!! \\/

Comment

A nice ride...

Greetings Miss Fabulous,

I just thought I would jump in here and give you one of my favorite rides. By being in Dunkirk, your right on the way. This is a great fall ride, while they are harvesting grapes. I start and stop in Cattaraugus(home). The ride for you would be from Dunkirk west on Rt 5 to Westfield. Left onto Rt 394 east to Kennedy. Now you have a couple of options. Option 1, turn left onto Rt 62 north and follow to Gowanda, then pick up Rt 438 to Irving where you would pick up Rt 5 back into Dunkirk. About 95 miles. Option 2, turn south on Rt 62 to Warren,Pa. and pick up Rt 59 east, then pick up Rt 321 north along the Kinzua reservoir to Rt 280 to the Quaker run area of Allegany State Park. Then you can jump on I-86 west back to Kennedy and pick up option 1. Not sure how many miles that will add, would have to be a least 50. Enjoy\\/

Andy
            1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
            1984 GS1100GK
            1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
            1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
            1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

Thanks, Andy! I just copied and added that to my ride list... i know lots of roads around here, but only from the perspective of the Jeep, where road quality and gravel tops don't matter!

It's great to hear from you - hope you're doing well. My dirtbike should be in my hands sometime next week, so... when you get the itch for a cage-free ride in the open fields, let me know! Shouldn't take me long to get it running!

Comment

Hey Shirley,

I look foward to a little ride hopefully before the snow flies. Probably 2 more months before I can return to work. I hope to be up to it, still working reganing my strenght to my pre accident status. Its been a long road, but I'm getting there. I'll be in touch.

Andy
                1984 GS1100GK
                1982 GS1100E “RANGER”

Comment

Take your recovery time slowly, but any time you want to come out, you're welcome here. There is also a nice quiet parking lot close by if you want to test out the saddle! Keep on keeping on! Better days are ahead, and you'll be stronger for them.

There will be plenty of dirt riding available between the snow flurries - I'm convinced of it!!! We've had some 50 degree days in January int he past couple years - we'll have 'em again for when the urge hits I swear!!

Comment

Hey Andy, sent you a pm a while ago and did not hear back? Any how sounds like you are doing a little better\\/ . So is there a bike in your future or still undecided?

Maybe your route or the one Red Bandit mentioned could be a scheduled Spring ride 8) ?
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2006, 12:13 PM.

Comment

ScottMc1100L,

I remeber you sending me the PM, I was attempting to clean my inbox and deleted everything. I thought I'd be ready to ride by now, but still need to do some more healing. I not in as big a rush as I was. If I have to wait until spring, so be it. I need to walk before I can run. Keep in touch. As for getting a bike, I'm going to have to wait until spring, most likely.

Andy
                      Last edited by ALB80-850; 10-24-2006, 10:03 AM.
                      1984 GS1100GK
                      1982 GS1100E “RANGER”

Comment

Sounds like a Saturday get together at Andy's next spring Miss Fab will have 3 or 4 bikes to chose from Uncle mike Might have his either replaced or fixed by then.Iam sure we might even find some place to do an overnighter not that I am inviting myself but hey if you dont ask:shock:

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity Tester View Post
                          Sounds like a Saturday get together at Andy's next spring Miss Fab will have 3 or 4 bikes to chose from Uncle mike Might have his either replaced or fixed by then.Iam sure we might even find some place to do an overnighter not that I am inviting myself but hey if you dont ask:shock:

The bikes seem to choose me, I don't choose them! At least not yet anyway...

We all live in rugged country... we can pitch tents and sleep on the ground... as long as some alcohol is involved, at least from my perspective anyway...

UM will get his 750 issues straightened out or that skunk KGB has access to by the time the real snow falls... we'll all be good to go by Spring!!!

And of course all of you guys are welcome to pitch tents out here any time you want. Or put up a cot in my PB Blaster and gas stinking barn...

Can't wait to meet all you local folks in person!

Comment

Hey Miss Fabulous, really nice looking ink on your website!
                            1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
                              My brother lives in Williamsport, and used to have a general store and restaurant on Rt. 287 in English Center, between Williamsport and Morris. It is beautiful riding country, if you watch out for the deer and occasional bear. My brother was riding up 287 toward Wellsboro when a bear ran onto the road from a hillside, and only the good double-front-discs, and the manuverability of his Virago kept him from hitting it. He said he couldn't have avoided it in a cage. He went by so close, he could smell the nasty rankness of the bear.
                              I have ridden my bicycle on 287 through english center to wellsboro. Remarkably nice road but a little creepy. I remember smelling cigarettes in the air in the middle of nowhere. If you get my drift.

There was a 6 mile hill out of English center I climbed before a very long downhill through Morris. I hunted there years ago and the area is just spectacular. My Brother in Law has a cabin near there and it's really God's Country.
                              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                              X