Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GoPro HD Motorsports Hero video camera review!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GoPro HD Motorsports Hero video camera review!

OK...so I got this GoPro HD camera and finally had a chance to put it on a bike take it out.

My rambling impressions so far...

The camera does a nice job for what it is and what it costs, (I think mine was $260 or so). It not only does video at various resolutions, it will also take continuous still shots over a period of time.

The mounting system works well with the suction cup deal, (I did put a cord on it just in case), and there is a whole box of mounting options that comes with the camera.

The case with the open back allows you to hear the bike with little wind noise, (even over 100mph). The waterproof cover should work well in bad weather, but I haven't tried it yet.

Without an LCD the menu structure is a bit fussy, but it works. I am going to buy the option LCD Back Pack screen for it.

I also picked up a couple 16G cards as the 8G cards I had only lasted about an hour. The battery last a little over 2 hours, but they now have a batter back pack that doubles the capacity for only $49.

Picture quality is good, but being a CMOS chip it doesn't handle movement was well as a CCD camera, (this is my first CMOS camera). Video shot at 1080 30P has a definite "jello" effect from the CMOS rolling shutter. Yesterday I went out again and shot in 720 60P and the results were much better at the faster frame rate.

In addition, it really needs an ND filter on sunny days...I think that will improve the picture quite a bit...I ordered an ND filter from EyeOfMine.com which I will try when it arrives.

So here is a short vid from last weekend that I edited up yesterday. It was shot in 1080 30P, transcoded with CineForm, edited with Sony Vegas Pro 9...music from SmartSound, (yes, it's legal).

First Ride of 2011

You don't need all the stuff I mentioned to edit the HD MP4 video from this camera, but you will need a fairly decent computer and some sort of editing program.
    You can find more on that here: http://goprouser.freeforums.org/index.php

I think the biggest issue with the camera is I really feel the need to have two or three to get multiple angles when riding...

Bottom line is this thing is fun. I think it is more fun than my $3K camera. Can't wait to take this to some GSR rallies this summer.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB
Working...
X