Power to coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power to coils

Hello everyone. My gs850 seems to be running on 1 cylinder. I checked the power to the coils with the ignition key on and got 9.5 volts to one coil and zero to the other. What is the correct solution for this. Can i wire them direct to the battery or do they need to be wired through an ignition wire? Thanks for any advice. Please note this isnt the same bike as my other oil leak post.

Maybe I should ad its a 79 model gs850gn with a boyer bransden electric ignition.

Comment

If you wire them directly to the battery then there will be a constant draw and the battery would go dead. The best possible advice is to get a volt/ohm meter or even a basic test light and check points along the circuit to see where there's a failed connection, burt wire, etc. Do you have a wiring diagram?
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks LAB3 ive got a cheap multimeter and the wiring diagram but im not great with electrics and the diagrams. Ill see how i go lol

Comment

You can do the "relay mod". Instructions are on BWRINGERS pages. Basically the coils are wired direct to battery through a relay. Original wire becomes the relay switch wire.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher View Post
            Hello everyone. My gs850 seems to be running on 1 cylinder. I checked the power to the coils with the ignition key on and got 9.5 volts to one coil and zero to the other. What is the correct solution for this. Can i wire them direct to the battery or do they need to be wired through an ignition wire? Thanks for any advice. Please note this isnt the same bike as my other oil leak post.
            Maybe I should ad its a 79 model gs850gn with a boyer bransden electric ignition.
            If the coils get 9.5 volt, likely the ignition also gets 9.5 volt.
            I don't know about the Boyer Bransden but have seen issues with severals electronic ignitions when power drops below 10V.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

If the coil has 9.5 volts then the whole system has this same voltage. Check battery with the key on and verify voltages. If even at 9.5v your battery is weak.

This doesn't explain the loss of voltage at the other coil. The power for both coils comes from the same wire. It just splits inside the harness and out to each coil.

Verify that you've got good testing equipment - meter and test light. Good grounds (coil doesn't need a battery ground) and power...

I did a relay by-pass so I have direct battery voltage at my coils. I've burnt an ignition module by leaving the key on too long so prevent this at all costs.

You do not need the ignition module powered up to test coils on the power side.
              Current:
              1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
              1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
              1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
              1998 Chevy C2500
              1999 Rav4

Comment

Hello everyone. My gs850 seems to be running on 1 cylinder. I checked the power to the coils with the ignition key on and got 9.5 volts to one coil and zero to the other. What is the correct solution for this. st.
                What model Boyer Bransden system do you have?

Some have specific coil’s that are wired in series
                A bad coil can leak voltage on the primary side killing voltage to the 2nd coil.

Some systems wire the coils in parallel and the ignition box turns the coil on when appropriate.

See the Boyer Bransden trouble shooting site:

Boyer Bransden, Electronics, Electronic Ignition, Fault-finding, troubleshooting

Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Update there was a incorect wiring so now both coils getting 9.5 volts. Battery is 12.5v. Could there be corrosion in the switches?

Comment

Working...
                  X