Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my GS450 buildup

okay, here goes!

I've had this bike a while, and just now sgot around to really starting to work on it. So let's start from the beginning.

I found it at a salvage yard. Didnt try to start it up, didnt look at it for more than about 30 seconds. That's all it took. I *had* to have it. So I dug around some more for some steel to use as a ramp, and rolled it up into the bed of my truck. Rolled up to the scales, and then went inside the building to pay for my new toy. $38, hot damn what a bargain!

I get her home, and off the truck, take a couple snaps with the camera, and start looking at it a lil better. Nothing obvious seems wrong, other than the lack of turn signals, broken taillight, few minor things like that. play with the controls a bit, Okay cool, throttle doesn't stick, brakes seem to work. Hmm..... the clutch is sticking. Try the shifter, it seems to run through most the gears, can only get 4 of them, but maybe I'll get lucky and get the rest after I get it running. Then, I try to start it. Put the key in it, turn it to on, nothing happens.... Okay, maybe the battery's dead. So I try and jump start it. Hook up the jumper cables, and the headlight turns on and the Nuetral light comes on. Sweet! Push the starter.... nothing. I go find a screwdriver, and short the terminals on the starter soleloid. Success! she turns over, but wont start. I was expecting this.

I take off the tank, and unhook the petcock, put a plug in the vacuum line from the petcock, and hook up a little funnel I had to the fuel line. Here goes attempt number two.... and.... nothing. Hmm.... maybe it isnt getting spark? Take out the plugs, put in a test plug, and try starting it again. Okay, I've got spark, at least something's going right! With that out of the way, let's try some starting fluid! I spray a little in each cylynder, put the plugs back on, and would you imagine that, she fires right up. What a beautiful sound.... thup thup thup.... out of starting fluid. Take off the carbs, muck around with them a little bit, not really knowing what I'm doing, and give up and put them on a shelf for 6 months.

OK, fast forward to last week. Something lit a fire under my rear end, I wanted to get this baby running! So I took it to a neighbors house, who happens to work in dirt bikes, and gave him the carbs to rebuild. I just got them back today, and put them back on the bike. But I ran out of daylight, so I didnt get around to hooking the battery back up. Something seems to be missing wire wise. I've managed to lose the wire from the starter solenoid to the battery, along with all other positive wires coming from the battery. There's a black wire that grounds to the frame, and another black wire with a yellow crimp connector on it. Not a very large wire, but it goes up to another bundle of wires under the seat.

This is where I kinda need a little help.

How do I wire the battery back up?
Working...
X