Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 Brown County Indiana GS Thang, 6/9-6/12, 2022 - SAVE THE DATE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No I believe he moved out to CO per his Facebook posts
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Looks like I will probably have to pass on the rally this year. As an update to all, my wife and I moved to Colorado in October in order to be closer to my daughter and her husband. We are now living in Castle Rock which is about 20 minutes from the Denver area. Still settling in and getting things organized so probably no big trips this year. However, I'm told there are some good motorcycling rides around LOL! Anyway, please stay in touch GSers and if you are in the area we have a couple extra rooms and I will make room in the garage for your bike along side of mine. Assuming that this old body of mine holds up, I will definitely hope to join you all for the Brown County Rally next year.
      Bob
      Current:
      2008 BMW R1200RT
      Past History:1971 Honda CB350; 1972 Bonneville
      1979 Suzuki GS550E
      1979 Suzuki GS850G
      1980 Suzuki GS850G
      1983 Suzuki GS1100E
      2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
      2004 BMW R1150 RT
      2009 Triumph Bonneville SE

Comment

Originally posted by indybob View Post
        . . . . . .
        Bob
        Bob, I want to harrass, er, um, I mean, encourage you to find some resaon to ride back sometime, say, mid June.
        I am sure others will also, um, encourage you to make the trip.
        But, yah, Is quite a distance, and you have other conciderations.
        Would be good to see you, this year or next.
        Thanks for the invite.
        Dave

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Ah, Castle Rock. Beautiful part of Colorado of which I am familiar. Had to make an appearance in the local kangaroo courthouse back in the 80's for allegedly exceeding the posted speed limit.

Bob, you are one lucky dude to be able to call Colorado home. Enjoy the beautiful scenery and the much lower humidity as compared to Indiana.

Hope to see you back in Bedford in the future.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by indybob View Post
            Looks like I will probably have to pass on the rally this year. As an update to all, my wife and I moved to Colorado in October in order to be closer to my daughter and her husband. We are now living in Castle Rock which is about 20 minutes from the Denver area. Still settling in and getting things organized so probably no big trips this year. However, I'm told there are some good motorcycling rides around LOL! Anyway, please stay in touch GSers and if you are in the area we have a couple extra rooms and I will make room in the garage for your bike along side of mine. Assuming that this old body of mine holds up, I will definitely hope to join you all for the Brown County Rally next year.
            Bob
            Won't be the same withoutcha. Love Colorado though. I'd love to live there.
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Wow! Just looked over Brian's links to past rallys (on page 2). 2004 seemed like yesterday. Great group of people!
              The kind of group that you speak to once a year and it seems like the conversation continued just like it was the very next day.
              Last edited by blokv1100; 02-23-2022, 11:56 AM.
              Victor Kolb
              '80 GS1100L -
              '85 GS550L -
              '04 Bandit 1200S - gone
              '02 BMW R1150 RT - gone as well
              '15 Triumph Bonneville NewChurch
              '17 Triumph Tiger 80 XRx

Comment

Might there be camping around the event?
                1978 GS750EC DOM: May 1978. installed header with Supertrapp muffler.

Comment

I think I have seen something about an attendee or two camping somewhere near there, but can not verify.

Comment

Originally posted by Stigman95 View Post
                    Might there be camping around the event?
                    The nearest camping is at Spring Mill State Park, about 20 minutes from the Rosemount.

If you just prefer camping, it's a very nice park. However, you probably won't save any money. We get an amazing deal from Jay for rooms at the Rosemount, about $60 per night for a room with two beds. We've also had times when three or four shared a room, with one sleeping on the floor, or a couple, etc.

The low cost is one of the reasons this little shindig is usually very well attended.

(BTW, I'll be emailing past attendees within a week to work out the base rooming list, then I'll get in touch with others who have expressed interest. Hang in there.)

I can say that camping in Indiana tends to get extremely crowded and rowdy if the weather is decent, and prices go up in the summer and on weekends.

If you want to camp at a state park, park admission is $9 per day for out of state visitors, and camping fees range from $12-$35 per night depending on availability and type of campsite.

The cheaper primitive sites fill up very quickly, often forcing tent campers into expensive electric sites. But if you arrive on Thursday your odds are pretty good. At the moment, it looks like you can only reserve electric campsites online, but sometimes they open up more sites for online reservations as time goes on.

There's wilderness camping (no fees, but no facilities whatsoever, gravel roads, and extremely crowded on weekends) available in some areas of the Hoosier National Forest and State Forest areas. Most are in the area south of Lake Monroe, about 20-25 miles northeast of Bedford. Rural roads in Indiana are not safe near dusk or after dark, so you'll need to get back early. Sites are heavily used and frankly the whole area is full of garbage and smells like 1,000 outhouses. 0/5 stars, would not recommend.

There's a small primitive campground at Martin State Forest outside of Shoals, about 30 minutes from the Rosemount. No admission, and I believe fees are $13 per night. It's fairly nice, and has water and pit toilets, but it gets EXTREMELY crowded every weekend with decent weather. There's no staff on site other than someone usually comes through to make sure everyone has paid.

If you have points to burn, there are several chain motels in Bedford, and pretty much every chain is represented 25 miles north up highway 37 in Bloomington. One or two people usually stay at the Holiday Inn, for example.

And if romance is on the menu, there are a few Bed & Breakfast places around. The Story Inn is a wonderful experience, and the restaurant is great, but it's 45 minutes of twisty back roads from the Rosemount. Sometimes some of us get up a little early and have breakfast in Story; the ride up 58 and 135 is fantastic.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I seem to recall Oramac tried camping for the rally once a long time ago. Maybe he'll tell the story. But, I recall there being quite a deluge one evening that altered his plans.
                      Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                      Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

I stayed at the Rosemount Sunday night and Jay is really looking forward to seeing us. He told me to tell you Brian that everything is ready from his side.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                          I seem to recall Oramac tried camping for the rally once a long time ago. Maybe he'll tell the story. But, I recall there being quite a deluge one evening that altered his plans.
                          I did indeed camp there, and I camped at Brown County when the rally was located in Columbus. At Spring Mill, I stayed in primitive, and it is a very nice park. It was quiet. However, I camped because budget was very tight, and I always wished I had stayed at the hotels for one reason only; the fellowship. Visiting with people until midnight and beyond, combined with the desire to partake in festive libation, does not lend itself well to late-night treks through the antlered-rat infested countryside back to a primitive campsite. Also, as Greg mentioned, my last year of camping was met with a significant deluge, and I subsequently slept on a comfortable piece of floor in one of the rooms. I have stayed in the luxurious accommodations of the Rosemount ever since.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well hello everyone!! I am a tentative participant this year. Really wanna go, but all things have to groove just right for me to pull it off. FIRST thing, I still have to get my wrecked bike back together. Then there is the minor thing of making sure I have the finances together. Hope to be there.
                            Last edited by Spyder; 04-20-2022, 02:59 PM.
                            '83 GS 1100T
                            The Jet

sigpic
                            '95 GSXR 750w
                            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

I hope you can make it Casey. I want to see you and the bike whole again.
                              Dogma
                              --
                              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Howdy, all!

Tim, Wazz, and I dropped in to see Jay yesterday. We were out on KLRs making sure they hadn't paved any of the dirt roads.

Anyway, I just emailed a huge list of people this morning about rooms at the Rosemount. If you think you should have gotten this email but didn't, please check your spam filter and/or email me at brian@bwringer.com to communicate your intentions.

Using the "definite" replies this thread, people I've talked to, and the replies thus far, I have:

IN:
                                ddaniels (Dave)
                                dogma (Dale)
                                cowboyup (Scott)
                                bwringer (moi)
                                twrsomething (Tim)
                                wazz (Greg)
                                gbw (the other Greg W.)
                                storm 64 (Norm)
                                1978GS750E (Ron)
                                Redman (Dave V.)
                                baatfam (Bob T.)
                                wingsconsin (Karl) - will be there, but always stays elsewhere (let me know if that changes, Karl)

OUT:
                                Indybob (Bob)

Let me know if I've missed anyone or anything.

Several others have communicated interest but uncertainty. Let me know your plans have solidified.

As ever, preference if rooms get squeezed will be given to those with pretty-much rock-solid plans to stay all three days, and to past attendees. Bear in mind that lodgings in Bedford are in rather short supply these days due to a massive long-term construction project in Mitchell, so if you want to make a chain reservation hop on that pronto. Worst case, Bloomington is jam-packed with all the hotel chains and is about 25-30 minutes north.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                                X