Scanner blast from the past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanner blast from the past

I happened upon a 1980 Realistic 2001 pro 16 band scanner on FB Marketplace thus week.
    My buddies Dad had one in 1980 and I recall reading about it in elementary electronics or some such mag

The price 20 bucks
    No way it works. Guys says it turns on but he cant get anything on it.

But yah know screw it an 2 hour drive for a probably dead bit of largely obsolete tech is perfectly reasonable.
    I didnt measure the CO2 output but heres hoping it was a lot.

Got home read a bit and realizing that its very old and could have been programmed in any locale with frequencies no longer in use I popped in a local FD and eventually wow works as new.

Its so starange inside no ICs to be seen. It has some sort of microprocessor but what and where Ive no clue
    Actually its a two planar saetup with what looks like the guts of an old walkie talke and another thats much like a computer board.

Some fan websites report it ost 400USD in 1980 which blows my mind half a years tuition to the uni I went to.

It weighs 12 pounds

41 years and it still works.

Mind you sitting about waiting to hear the details of death and mayhem is a vile pastime.

iirc Radio Shack had the folks in Taiwan shrink things down quickly cos by 88 or so a friend had a handheld that could do far more and did not require a mast antenna and 120v receptacle.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s
Working...
X