No announcement yet.

My kid bought his first car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be careful Rich; seems the insurance companies are more likely to total cars now because parts are becoming scarce. DAMHIK
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I hear ya, Scott. I half-expect the insurance company to total it. We’ll see.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

As always thankful no injuries...Hate it for ya'll, but guess just his introduction to the real world... Good luck with repairs, really looks just cosmetic.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yeah, kid didn’t seem shaken up at all, handled things well. I told him, Sh:t happens. That’s why there’s insurance. Very thankful no one was hurt.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I like those Prius and would enjoy that Hybrid which has been very well aerodynamically styled:nice car.

Comment

So what's the Problem? It'll buff right out. Now you have a Three Door Sedan! Just joking, glad no one got hurt. If the car is still drivable, I'd just drive it.
              My Motorcycles:
              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)
              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Ugh, that stinks. Good about no injuries though.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Glad to hear nobody got hurt. Please remind your boy to make sure approching cars at a 4 way stop are slowing down and not distracted. Good chance that 20 year old woman was playing with her phone.

BTW, that car doesn't look good. It's going to need a quarter panel, two doors, and maybe some structure realignment at the B & C pillars. That could add up to a total.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Glad to hear nobody got hurt. Please remind your boy to make sure approching cars at a 4 way stop are slowing down and not distracted. Good chance that 20 year old woman was playing with her phone.

BTW, that car doesn't look good. It's going to need a quarter panel, two doors, and maybe some structure realignment at the B & C pillars. That could add up to a total.
                    I talked to him about the 4-way stop scenario. Just because it's your turn legally, doesn't mean you can ignore the other cars at or approaching the intersection. Got to never assume the other driver will do the right thing. Picked up the police report last night. I know the other driver, she used to be in youth fellowship program I led a church. Sweet kid. She admitted to the cop and insurance company to being distracted, adjusting her heater. She has the same insurance company as ours. I just got off the phone w/ them. I'll take the car to my body shop today or tomorrow, see what he says. It certainly could add up to a total on a 11 yr old car.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Hey storm, "If the car is still drivable I'd just drive it"...How long since you were a young man with his first car? I'd think you wouldn't have felt that way back then...Just guessing.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                        Hey storm, "If the car is still drivable I'd just drive it"...How long since you were a young man with his first car? I'd think you wouldn't have felt that way back then...Just guessing.
                        I understand what you're saying. It's got to be upsetting to have your first car wrecked...

As for me? When I was a young man, I drove nothing but "Beaters". A little body damage didn't bother me. As long as it had gas in it and it ran I was fine with that.
                        Actually I didn't own a car till I was 20. My first set of wheels was a motorcycle a 76 Honda CB 360T, then I got my 80 KZ650. Then when my brother was moving he gave me his old Datsun pick up truck. It didn't have a straight panel on it. My first nice car was a two year old 95 Volkswagen Jetta. It was also my first auto loan...
                        My Motorcycles:
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)

Comment

Wouldn't doubt you at all storm, some young folks are like that, I's just say'in "most" youngsters probably wouldn't drive a beater. I don't know Noah, he may be one that may take the ins. money & drive it like it is... Just another decision while entering the real world.

Comment

Noah is pretty particular about his things, car is no exception. He probably wouldn't sweat a tiny dent. But the entire rear door caved in is another thing, entirely. My first vehicle was a '76 IH Scout Traveler. My older brother beat the snot out of it before I got it. For a while, it had a crumpled front driver's side fender. I replaced it with a better fender from a wrecked Scout, that I rattle-canned a different color. Then we sold it. But I was just happy to have something to drive. My biggest worries at the time were with the stereo and speakers I installed in it (replaced the AM Mono - yes, just one speaker in the middle of the dash)
                            Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 01-20-2022, 01:40 PM.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Also some states wouldn't let you drive a wrecked car. Especially a Uni-body car. I know Pennsylvania has strict laws, cars have to pass a yearly inspection.
                              Rich, don't listen to me. I don't know what I'm talking about. Don't drive the wrecked car! Haha🤔
                              My Motorcycles:
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)

Comment

A friend of mine a while back was a traveling nurse, and his specialty was piling monster miles on "lightly wrecked" cars he picked up incredibly cheap. He had a small fleet of battered hoopties with damage like this. He would have been overjoyed to find something like this.

In fact, one common source for damaged cars was the families he served; quite often after Mom came home with some mysterious dents the family would gently extract the keys from her hand and sell the car fast and cheap.

Of course, there are no inspections in Indiana, and nothing technically illegal about driving a car in that condition; I don't see any particular safety issues, other than perhaps the door and/or window might leak. It's weaker if there's a second impact, but you're also not going to have anyone sitting there either.

Since insurance is involved, the decision may be partially out of your hands, especially if you have different state laws about this sort of thing. As noted, that's almost certainly a total. Whether it makes sense to partially repair it is a different question.

Anyway, it wasn't his fault, no one was hurt, and so you can call it a learning experience.
                                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                                X