Picking up another Fizzy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking up another Fizzy

Well I've locked in another Gen 1 Yamaha FZ1 for 2-up tour duty.

The old girl is a 2001, Clean Mass title, the current owner just went through it all to get the bike running to sell (valve check, oil change, fork oil, coolant flush, battery and carb clean and sync). Still needs shoes (fresh set of Road smart 3's in inventory), a front fender (ordered for 30 shipped from ebay) and a rider... Bike has 23K miles and is 100% stock.

This one is in better shape than my first FZ1 which I sold with nearly 80K miles on the clock. The front fairing is cracked... I'll asses when I grab it Friday but it should be fine. I'm glad I've kept my Givi top case mount for this long amount of time.

Mrs Jedz wants to go for a motorcycle tour for our Honeymoon and with my first coast to coast trip booked for next year I needed a reliable bike that I could trust for that distance. The Bonneville has been a decent bike but it has been plagued with minor issues since it crested 40K miles earlier this month. Would it make it? Probably but I wouldn't have that assurance the 3 tuning forks give me. Also the Bonneville is a smaller bike and I can't imagine 2 up and with luggage the bike would be comfortable for us. We have done rides with my first FZ1 when we first started dating and I can say I have regretted selling it for it fit both of us like a glove (Connie 14 was too fat, B-king was uncomfortable and the Harleys, well let's not go into that...)

The FZ1 has been my favorite bike I've owned to date. I have over 1/3 million miles under my belt these days and the most fun and reliable of those miles were had on top of the big Fazer.

So Friday I grab the bike, this weekend I'll pull out all my Fizzy bits I have and start to ready for touring duty. I will likely get the kinks worked out over the course of next week and also get it plated. I hope to be able to at least go for one long weekend somewhere far with it, maybe NC or VA. Then shortly after I will be going on our Honeymoon to Canada once I have the confidence and settings set the way I like on the bike. We will see, now that the wedding is finally behind us I can finally relax.

So I know Isleofman has over 100K on his and my goal with this bike is to keep it running (which was very easy, even for my last salvage titled one) for as long as I can. The Bonnie will be downgraded to weekend rider and the TUX will still be my little commuter bike (can't shake a stick at a it's consistent 80mpg on 87).

Exciting stuff, just wanted to share... The Gen 1 FZ1 is byt far one of the best Standard bikes of all time and I'm glad I found one (for cheap) to get back on the raod and only have to worry about pads, tires and fluids...

Best,
    -Jedz
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Damn, dude , how do you find these deals? Good luck on being married and the trip.

Comment

HAHA Well not everything is a "deal" I've run into some issues with some of my buys but I just keep my ear to the ground. MC season is wrapping up around here and the market right now is a buyers market. I've been eyeing this one for about a month and when the price started to drop I struck the iron hot.
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Thanks! It was an awesome wedding weekend up at the NE GSR meeting spot. With the new bike folding in to the heard we are getting very excited about our weekend honeymoon!
        Best,
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Good reading material:
          Introduced in 2001, Yamaha’s first-generation, big, cat-eyed FZ1 was more radical than just a parts-bin special, a scaled-up take on older cousin Fazer 600.
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Congrats, Jedz-twice!
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

If that's a 2 up bike, your wife is far smaller than mine....

Comment

She's 5' 3" about 110lbs soaking wet. So Maybe???
                Last edited by Jedz123; 08-23-2019, 07:27 AM.
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Did you need to replace the engine at 150K miles or you just did because, you wanted to?
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                  X