GS 450T Engine Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 450T Engine Noise

Hi everyone, I'm new to GS Resource website. I recently purchased a 1981 Suzuki 450T. It's in great shape, but had to do a few things to it such as new recitifier, battery and new tire. The concern I have is At around 3000 RPM I here this rattle or knock. I'm wondering if this is normal or is there something I should be doing.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

That can't be normal.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I haven't ever heard it in a GS engine before, but that sounds like a rod bearing is gone. They are not roller bearings like the older GSes, they have bearings like a car engine. Don't do any more damage, don't run it until you can fix it, or at least see if it's fixable before it gets worse.

I think maybe like a car you could replace a rod bearing by removing the oil pan, without taking the whole engine apart.

It might be easier and cheaper to find another engine somewhere.
      Last edited by tkent02; 05-26-2014, 02:51 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Maybe it doesn't come across in the video real well... but is it consistent like that all the time? It sounds to me like a vibration rather than a knock... are you sure something else on the bike is not just vibrating when the engine hits that point?

I have an annoying buzz around 4 -5K RPM but I know exactly what it is... it's a relay mounted behind my dash vibrating against the headlight binnacle. I just need to make a minor adjustment...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Well I pulled the oil pan off and found metal shavings in there. So I am in the process of pulling the res of the engine apart to find what it is.

Comment

Counterballance shaft bearings. (most likely)
            Crank bearings (less likely)
            Connecting rod bearings are next on the list.

Pull the right side cover and see if you can wiggle the counterballance shaft at all.
            Stephen.
            1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

Ah, the dreaded counterbalance…..

Comment

I'm am trying to get the right side off but the screws I dont think have ever been off so they are striping so easy. I am trying to find alternitive way to get them off without tap or dying them.

Comment

Go a hand held impact driver? The kind you hit with a hammer? Pops them right off.

Comment

Ok so it turned out it was my rod bearing. I purchased another engine in the meantime to stick in there while i rebuild the original.

Comment

Got her up and going this morning with the new engine. Sounds great.

Comment

Excellent job! You must have some mechanical ability. Glad it didn't delay the enjoyment of riding too long for you.

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                          ... I have an annoying buzz around 4 -5K RPM but I know exactly what it is... it's a relay mounted behind my dash vibrating against the headlight binnacle. I just need to make a minor adjustment...
                          There's a hammer for that...

Comment

Originally posted by albinosmurf View Post
                            Got her up and going this morning with the new engine. Sounds great.
                            Good job! Glad to hear it

Originally posted by winfield View Post
                            There's a hammer for that...
                            Hahaha yes there is indeed! Although I opted for a different approach... a piece of rubber off-cut wedged between the binnacle and relay...
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                            X