Price of small parts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price of small parts...

I have a 750 higher geared oil pump gear set to fit. I only just noticed on the parts diagram there are two small o-rings at the back of the pump that I'd be as well to replace while I'm in there.
    I have various boxes of o-rings and quite possibly a couple of the right size, but given Zuk's propensity to use odd and weird sizes of o-rings I decided to just bite the bullet and buy OEM bits, plus the circlip at the end of the pump shaft (daft idea to re-use circlips, never do that).
    The o-rings were only a couple of quid each, similar for the circlip.
    By the time I added shipping, etc, it's well up beyond thirty bucks.
    For three tiny bits.
    Not worth trying to cheap out, though. I'd be kicking myself if a substitute o-ring was the wrong material or the re-used circlip pinged off in service.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

I need to rebuild my calipers. All I need are the seals and boots. I find it borderline criminal what they charge for the rubber "boot" that goes over the slide pins, $10 each. I think OEM rubber parts are outrageously over priced.
    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

I can count on one hand the no. of reasonably priced parts I've ever got from a " Factory Dealership". Weather bike, auto, tractor, lawn mower, that's just the way it is. I think John Deere is probably the worst. A green bolt from JD $14.75, same bolt (not green) $2.05 from Rural king or T.S.C... Maybe the green paint they use is very expensive.... Also just read John Deere just got hooked up with EGO something to do with their JD elect lawn equip.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
        I need to rebuild my calipers. All I need are the seals and boots. I find it borderline criminal what they charge for the rubber "boot" that goes over the slide pins, $10 each. I think OEM rubber parts are outrageously over priced.
        Store thousands of parts for decades with a profit margin dependent on whimsy and happenstance. Come see us before you starve.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post

Store thousands of parts for decades with a profit margin dependent on whimsy and happenstance. Come see us before you starve.
          I understand the economics and the reason for the prices. However I still thanks it's crazy.
          - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
          - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Mailing and freight charges aren't so great either. I bought an NOS output shaft for my 1150 from Europe, an NOS clutch cage frome Europe as well and,a few other NOS bits from around the world too and none of it was cheap. Sometimes when I find what I need I just close my eyes and pull the trigger. This stuff isn't just laying around anymore and sometimes it stops you from riding the bike.
            1986 1150EF
            2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Working...
            X