Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cafe anyone?

Hey GSers!
    I just got me a '79 GS425 (picture). Before riding it I had a picture in my head of making it into a '60's cafe racer. I wanted mainly clubman bars and a seat cowl. However, after riding it and reading about clubmans (cable length issues), I think I'll stick to what's on it at the moment. The previous owner had the smart idea of fitting it with Tomaselli superbike (I think) bars. They feel VERY nice. Regarding the seat cowl, I decided to leave it stock. Looks pretty cool and I ride with my wife most of the time.
    So now I'm aiming at a '70s cafe look. I'm looking for a 1/4 fairing.
    The grips didn't match when I got it, so I fitted a pair of old style British bike grips.
    Thanks for reading and I welcome any comments/ suggestions.

here's a couple of cool ones for a real cheap price. I'm using one for my project & like the looks of these.

Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

great find, like the sport one.

Comment

Thanks guys!!

Comment

check out this one by Lockhart. Its the one I got. What I like best about it, is that unlike the other ones, you can actually GET replacement windscreens and hardware

Comment

Last months cover photo shows a nice fairing but it looks like the big 8" headlight had to go.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Cafe

I've got an 80 gs450 and my buddy has an 81 yammy sx650. I went with clubmann bars on mine and they feel really good, much better than those stock ape hanger deals. I also tossed the stock gauges and got some off of www.mikessx.com They are chrome with white or black faces. This winter i've got some plans for the headlight etc, going for that clean bike look. Yeah you will have lots of extra cable length with the clubmann bars but I havent' had any binding or anything, when i put in the new clutch cable i'll run it around a longer way to help till the end of the season. I'm gonna have to measure and see if I can get shorter ones somewhere, maybe off another bike. The clubmans I got were offa ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by ironash
                I've got an 80 gs450 and my buddy has an 81 yammy sx650. I went with clubmann bars on mine and they feel really good, much better than those stock ape hanger deals. I also tossed the stock gauges and got some off of www.mikessx.com They are chrome with white or black faces. This winter i've got some plans for the headlight etc, going for that clean bike look. Yeah you will have lots of extra cable length with the clubmann bars but I havent' had any binding or anything, when i put in the new clutch cable i'll run it around a longer way to help till the end of the season. I'm gonna have to measure and see if I can get shorter ones somewhere, maybe off another bike. The clubmans I got were offa ebay.
                Actually I'm considering getting clubmans. I have fairly low bars right now. The guy who sold me the bike said I would have to extend the cables, and that would be a problem (for me anyway).
                How do you find the riding position without rear sets?
                Thanx
                G

Comment

Clubmans

I just put Clubmans on my GS1000 and, if anything, I need to shorten the cables. My brake line is kinda bunched, not kinked, but it "S"s pretty sharply. I'll try to get pictures.

One problem that I did have is that the triple tree on my bike was too wide for the Clubmans I bought. I didn't see any wider/bigger Clubmans when I was shopping around. What I'm going to end up doing is cutting the bars in half and then welding in about a 1-2" section in the middle to widen the "U". I've already cut the bars and messed with the positioning, I just have to weld them back together.

I'll try to get pics ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by baelzbub
                    I just put Clubmans on my GS1000 and, if anything, I need to shorten the cables. My brake line is kinda bunched, not kinked, but it "S"s pretty sharply. I'll try to get pictures.
                    Try ordering cables for a 1000S. Those should fit better.
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

This guy has some nice ones and a few different styles.
                      He's not cheap. I've never purchased from him, someone on here did and said it was quality.

http://www.omarsdtr.com/fairings.html
                      Keith
                      -------------------------------------------
                      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Thanks for the tip renobruce!
                        What's the difference between the 1000S and my 1000E?
                        (Yeah, I'm a newb to the bikeworld)

I've got some pics - the handlebar cover will cover the section where I'm going to weld in a piece of pipe from one of my scrap handlebars so it won't look so bad.

I'm off to install the new Cafe fairing that UPS just delivered to my door! More pics to come.

(Click pics to enlarge)
                        Last edited by frosty5011; 06-18-2016, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by baelzbub
                          Thanks for the tip renobruce!
                          What's the difference between the 1000S and my 1000E?
                          (Yeah, I'm a newb to the bikeworld)
                          The 1000S has lower, shorter handlebars:

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Cafe Fairing

I just got back from fitting my new cafe fairing on my bike.
                            It went on pretty easily, which is good because it didn't come with any instructions.
                            I really like the look!
                            \\/
                            (Click to Enlarge)

Fairing on Ebay
                            Last edited by frosty5011; 06-18-2016, 12:58 PM. Reason: No need for Spam/advertising

Comment

Wishful thinking...

Not that I am anywhere close to having this set up, but this is what I'm envisioning...

I hacked up the seat, blackened the pipes and removed the mirrors in Photoshop to get this look. I'm really looking for a seat cowl that would work with my 78 GS1000 and look something like this. As it is, this is what my bike looks like now...

Comment

Working...
                              X