Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grafting a 79 GS550 E tank fit on a L frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grafting a 79 GS550 E tank fit on a L frame?

Will it fit? - with a little work...

I wanted to get more of a cafe look out of my GS550L. So i started with making a fiberglass seat and tail section. Once that was completed I still felt like the tank didnt suit the bike.

So after a score on Ebay I had my chance to try and make it work. I had to relocate the front and rear tank mounts but it mounted up pretty easily.

Here are some pics of the process.

rear tank mount

Here is the rear mount. I had to modify the original bracket and weld in a small crossmember but it worked out.

Comment

current profile

This is a mock up with the seat mounted,

Comment

Best looking "L" I've ever seen...

Keep it going.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Time for some knee relief

Its actually easier than you would think it would be.

The first blow is the hardest then you just let the hammer and metal work to gether and hang on for the ride.

Comment

That hammering isn't too shabby! Although it looks like you were using a welding hammer (I've used them too) Excelent job.

now the tricky part.. make the other side look Exactly the same....

Comment

Originally posted by BentRod View Post
              That hammering isn't too shabby! Although it looks like you were using a welding hammer (I've used them too) Excelent job.

now the tricky part.. make the other side look Exactly the same....
              Is there a special hammer or tool for knocking dents into metal - i just used the backside of a ball pien hammer.

I looked at the local harbor freight but couldnt find anything that i felt would work better. The ball pien hammer worked fine but if there is a specific method or tool give me a heads up - this was the first tank i hammered on but definetly not the last!

Thanks for the comments.

Comment

wow, I think i might get the same type of tank for my 550 since i dont want to buy an L tank.

Comment

Any autoparts store should have what they call a body hammer. It costs about 10 bucks and is usually around the bondo and fiberglass. It's basically a ball peen hammer, maybe weighted a little differently, with a little pointier peen.

When I did mine I used a regular old claw hammer. It had a nice, smooth and fairly flat face. I agree with you that the first blow is the hardest. Once your through with that there is no turning back.

This website is for sale! autobodytoolmart.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, autobodytoolmart.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Originally posted by beergood View Post
                    Any autoparts store should have what they call a body hammer. It costs about 10 bucks and is usually around the bondo and fiberglass. It's basically a ball peen hammer, maybe weighted a little differently, with a little pointier peen.

When I did mine I used a regular old claw hammer. It had a nice, smooth and fairly flat face. I agree with you that the first blow is the hardest. Once your through with that there is no turning back.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.net/pc-1...dolly-set.aspx
                    Thanks for the heads up - that kit is priced very well too. 20 bucks for more sheet metal working tools than i will ever need.

BTW Where did you get your clubmans at?

Comment

A friend of mine works at a triumph dealership. He ordered me a pair. Any parts store should be able to get them. They cost about $20.

Contrary to what you might hear, I find them very comfortable. They do change the way you ride though.

Comment

Originally posted by beergood View Post
                        A friend of mine works at a triumph dealership. He ordered me a pair. Any parts store should be able to get them. They cost about $20.

Contrary to what you might hear, I find them very comfortable. They do change the way you ride though.
                        My daily driver is a CBR 954 Im used to hugging the tank - I actually prefer it, I feel more in control that way.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                        X