GS 1000 - Ugly seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000 - Ugly seat

The 1980 GS 1000 I just picked up has the worst seat, backrest, rack thing going on. I want to get rid of that and into something much smaller. There is a motorcycle graveyard down the road from my house. Can I pick up something I like better and make it fit, or do I have to work with the one I already have? Thanks.

I see ya deleted the Craigs listing. Post that picture back up. I dont think many people saw it.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Which year/model of GS1000 do you have? Sounds like a G or L model. And yeah, they are hideous.

Do you like the way the E model GS1000 seats look? I would imagine it would be a straight swap, but check the dimensions first before laying out cash.

And all modifications are possible, just a matter of measuring, time, and cash.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-22-2007, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Hey Dave, I tried to post a picture of the bike but it was to hard on this sight. The picture you saw was when I was mad at it and put it on Craigs List. ha ha I took it off because I want to keep it now. The old man has it at his house fixing it for me. The bike is a 1980 GS1000G. I like the one in the picture 80GS1000 has. The E model seat is a better seat for me also, thanks for pointing it out. I don't like the handle bars also, but that will be alittle later.

Comment

Post a pic

John its not that hard. Setup a photobucket photo album and with this site and the photobucket site up at the same time just copy and paste. Or send me that picture and Ill post it here. Im at:
          I know nothing about that seat so your at the mercy of the gurus here. Begging and groveling for answers helps. :-D
          At least your near sport wheels.
          Last edited by bonanzadave; 01-23-2007, 10:40 AM.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Ok guys Daves going to be cool and help me out with a picture. The bikes going to need more than a seat. I'm taking the little fairing thing off along with the highway pegs. I'd like to change the handle bars also, ones that go staight across. Any ideas of ones that would fit this model? Thanks alot for everyones help, my bike and I really need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrash 1000 View Post
              Ok guys Daves going to be cool and help me out with a picture. The bikes going to need more than a seat. I'm taking the little fairing thing off along with the highway pegs. I'd like to change the handle bars also, ones that go staight across. Any ideas of ones that would fit this model? Thanks alot for everyones help, my bike and I really need it.
              Any 7/8" bar will fit. The ones that are flat across are called drag bars. Check them out here: http://motors.search.ebay.com/search...e=search&fgtp=

Comment

Thanks alot 80GS1000. That is exactly what I'm looking for. Handle bar problem solved. If anybody thinks I should do anything else to the bike speek up. You can't hurt my feelings so don't be shy.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrash 1000 View Post
                  Thanks alot 80GS1000. That is exactly what I'm looking for. Handle bar problem solved. If anybody thinks I should do anything else to the bike speek up. You can't hurt my feelings so don't be shy.
                  Post up a pic of your bike and we'll offer some constructive criticism. :-D

Comment

I tried the Image Shack thing but had no luck. So I sent a picture to Dave to post for me. Remember this bike needs help. ha ha I got those handle bars off ebay, thanks for the tip. Your going to get a good laugh when you see it. Go ahead and rip it apart.

Comment

Hey John, No one is gonna rip it apart. Its got lots of potential. You think the seat and sissy bar suck but someone is looking for one in the parts wanted section. Ill post your pic there too. Good luck !

82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

There's nothing wrong with that seat and rack. What you've got there is a touring bike.

If you can't find a good seat, you can cut that one down like I did mine.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                          Hey John, No one is gonna rip it apart. Its got lots of potential. You think the seat and sissy bar suck but someone is looking for one in the parts wanted section. Ill post your pic there too. Good luck !

It's actually pretty nice looking.

I'm an "E" guy so here's what I would suggest. Ditch that seat, the handlebars, the windscreen, and those tires. Get an "E" seat, install those drag bars you bought, get some Pirelli Sport Demon tires. Repaint that blacked out engine. Ditch the dorky, huge stock turn signals, replace them with something like GSXR 750 signals. The bike would look great that way.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                            It's actually pretty nice looking.

I'm an "E" guy so here's what I would suggest. Ditch that seat, the handlebars, the windscreen, and those tires. Get an "E" seat, install those drag bars you bought, get some Pirelli Sport Demon tires. Repaint that blacked out engine. Ditch the dorky, huge stock turn signals, replace them with something like GSXR 750 signals. The bike would look great that way.
                            Sure it would! But it's not an "E". Its a "G". Sparpy just sent me a scanned copy of an article about the GS1000G. It is hailed as one of the best touring bikes of its day.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                              Sure it would! But it's not an "E". Its a "G". Sparpy just sent me a scanned copy of an article about the GS1000G. It is hailed as one of the best touring bikes of its day.
                              True enough. What would you suggest to improve the looks on his "G" model?

Comment

Working...
                              X