Crash Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash Bars

I've been on the lookout for Crash Bars / Highway Bars for my GS650 since I got it. Kyle, a member on this list sold me a set that came off his GS550. I received it today, it fit my GS650 nicely and its in good condition too with a few rust spots as can be expected. Taking them to the chrome platers tomorrow and I'm making some chrome pegs for them in the workshop. So come next week they'll look as good as new and will be on the bike.
    Kyle's a really cool dude and it was a pleasure working with him to get this stuff sent all the way to Trinidad. Thanks man.

OK, I took the day off from work today and did some wrenching on the bike. BTW today marks one year since I got the bike and started this hobby (disease).
    Turns out that with some Autosol, Mothers Chrome polish and copious amounts of elbow-grease the crash-bar cleaned-up real good and did not need to be sent to the chrome platers after all. I replaced the fold-out, rubber pegs that came with the bar with some BMX pegs I found in the neighborhood bicycle shop (some lathe-work was necessary to make it fit) and I think it looks cool. :-D
    So the Crash-Bar is all mounted, have a look:

Comment

Excellent!! Those look great. I wish I could find a set like that for my 850G.

BTW, mind if I ask how much you got 'em for?

Later --

Comment

US$20.00 for the bars, but it cost an extra US$95.00 in freight, duties and taxes at this end when it got here. But I think it was well worth it, I'm pleased.

Comment

Hey Thanks for the info

And yes, worth it when you're living in Paradise
          Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2007, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Nice find! Takes a while sometimes, but patience does pay off!

I managed to find some mini 3-point case-guard style units that fit my 650E perfectly (and came with pegs already) on eBay a while ago for cheap. I was actually trying to avoid the one-piece big style like you have (too big/bulky for my little 650 I thought), but now that I see it on your bike, I think it looks rather nice!

My wife is always amazed what some steel wool and simple green can do to these nasty-looking chrome parts I'm always coming up with. Of course, having a somewhat ratbike, I don't worry too much if I can only get the chrome back to 90%.

Anyway, your bike is looking great!

Comment

Originally posted by cberkeley View Post
              OK, I took the day off from work today and did some wrenching on the bike. BTW today marks one year since I got the bike and started this hobby (disease).
              Turns out that with some Autosol, Mothers Chrome polish and copious amounts of elbow-grease the crash-bar cleaned-up real good and did not need to be sent to the chrome platers after all. I replaced the fold-out, rubber pegs that came with the bar with some BMX pegs I found in the neighborhood bicycle shop (some lathe-work was necessary to make it fit) and I think it looks cool. :-D
              So the Crash-Bar is all mounted, have a look:
              Nothing better than a clean bike to ride around,especially a 650!

Comment

looks good...I really like the silver painted wheels.

Comment

Have you upgraded your front suspension?I have new springs but have not put them in yet and was looking for some pointers as to the spacer length.

Comment

Outstanding bike, awsome what you have done thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
                      Have you upgraded your front suspension?I have new springs but have not put them in yet and was looking for some pointers as to the spacer length.
                      No work on the suspension other than new seals and fork oil works good enough for my conditions.

Comment

Those bars look great. I love your paint job. It is amazing what a bit of elbow grease will do on neglected chrome.

Comment

Working...
                        X