No announcement yet.

over baked powercoating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made, what I think is a hell of a score last year for powder coating. An older electric dual range. $40.00. I have only done a few parts,calipers, master cylinders and float bowls, but like the set up so far.The large side for large parts and the small side for ... The largest part that I could fit in my oven was a swingarm from an 850, I didn't do it but wanted to see if it would fit.The one thing I was told to do is calibrate your oven. Just because the knob says 400 degrees is not always the case. I used an IR temp gun, set the oven at x degrees and heat something(I used an old cast iron frying pan) then check the temp of the item, then adjust the heat accordingly. Then mark the dial to the actual 400 degrees or needed temp. I also agree the Eastwood stuff is marginal, it works but I've had some flow issues. I also haven't used any other powders yet. Another good deal, powder gun, tips, dryers, silicone plugs,high heat masking tap and about 2# ea of 12 colors of powder for $125. A friend of mine bought a Craftsman airless gun, hasen't used it yet(I'll probably use it 1st) it looks good enough,but has a very small powder cup and I'm not sure if they make a larger one.

Just several of my $.02 worth.

Andy
    1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
    1984 GS1100GK
    1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
    1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
    1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

Dang, you guys with powdercoat setups are making me jealous. I've got the zinc plating thing going pretty well for corroded hardware but powdercoat would be the cats meow. Rattle cans suck.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Who knows, there may come a time when I may need some parts plated and could swap for some powder coating

Andy
        1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
        1984 GS1100GK
        1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
        1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
        1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

Originally posted by ALB80-850 View Post
          I made, what I think is a hell of a score last year for powder coating. An older electric dual range. $40.00. I have only done a few parts,calipers, master cylinders and float bowls, but like the set up so far.The large side for large parts and the small side for ... The largest part that I could fit in my oven was a swingarm from an 850, I didn't do it but wanted to see if it would fit.The one thing I was told to do is calibrate your oven. Just because the knob says 400 degrees is not always the case. I used an IR temp gun, set the oven at x degrees and heat something(I used an old cast iron frying pan) then check the temp of the item, then adjust the heat accordingly. Then mark the dial to the actual 400 degrees or needed temp. I also agree the Eastwood stuff is marginal, it works but I've had some flow issues. I also haven't used any other powders yet. Another good deal, powder gun, tips, dryers, silicone plugs,high heat masking tap and about 2# ea of 12 colors of powder for $125. A friend of mine bought a Craftsman airless gun, hasen't used it yet(I'll probably use it 1st) it looks good enough,but has a very small powder cup and I'm not sure if they make a larger one.

Just several of my $.02 worth.

Andy
          I agree on the small cup... However, I've never ran out of powder doing a complete rack of small parts in one bake. I also have multiple cups that I filled with my most popular used powders.

Comment

Working...
          X