Resurrecting dial bezel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resurrecting dial bezel

I've got problem with my bezel, almost all of the writing (turn indicator text, high beam, etc.) has vanished in some point. Prolly someone has used some kind of solvent to clear it and all the text has gone with it.

Sorry for the bad pic, click for a bigger version.

So is there any other way to resurrect the bezel? Nothing else wrong with it anyway and the dial faceplates are fine... Or do I have to go buy a new one? And If I do - where I can get one? Used one would do aswell...

Dash

Dash covers are hard to find for a '77. Unlike the '78 and '79 models, the ignition is mounted in it instead of between it and the handlebar. If you actually find a NOS one, it will be expensive.

Comment

I wonder if you might be able to get (or make) a clear decal with white lettering that would stick over the existing plastic and re-create the lettering you've lost?

I know, for example, that there are clear labels you can put through a laser or inkjet printer and stick to CD/DVD's. It occurs to me that if you were able to get or make a good graphic in the correct size you could simply reprint the missing letters and outline. You'd want to use a laser printer if you do it yourself, because an inkjet would produce a result that wouldn't hold up very long in the elements. Once you had the proper printout you would simply cut it to size and stick it on your gauge...

Another option would be to create a graphic on your computer and find a company that could produce a custom stencil that you could paint through ... Then you'd be reapplying the lettering yourself with paint and once it looks the way you want it you could clearcoat over it.

I'm just "thinking out loud" hear, hoping that one of these ideas might prove useful to you. Good Luck!

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
        I wonder if you might be able to get (or make) a clear decal with white lettering that would stick over the existing plastic and re-create the lettering you've lost?
        Now that is a great idea! My gauge letters are faded as well. I remember that there is a sticker shop at the mall. And they make stickers for $3. Let's see if I can get some made. It's just a simple clear sticker with small white lettering. How hard can that be?

Comment

Unless they are using a fine pixel printer, it's going to look like garbage.

Ideally, you'd want to find a vinyl cutter using a CNC cutter, they can program in the design using CAD, then send it to the diamond tip cutter to be made. I've had some good luck with a vinyl designer near me, he's done great work. I just draw up the designs in CAD, write the G-code and then email him both files and he sends me the finished decals a few days later.

Comment

Actually I also thought about the decals, but making them myself isn't an option. First all, I suck at everything graphical. Second, it would be pain in the ass to get the right fit. Seems like the options are to get one new or get one used in good condition

I thought I was driving a 78 model because of the rims and double calipers at front but maybe the previous owner has done the mod. When I get the paperwork I can check it out.

Comment

Another idea would be to have a custom stamp made. What I envision would be a high resolution picture taken of a good dash (obviously you'd need someone else's help with that part), with exact dimensions measured and provided to the stamp maker. What you would get back would be a stamp that you could then coat with a quality weather resistant paint and use to re-apply the graphics to the plastic.

This is a low-tech version of what the factory did originally, so it should come out looking close to OEM if it works...

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by DaKyy View Post
                Actually I also thought about the decals, but making them myself isn't an option. First all, I suck at everything graphical. Second, it would be pain in the ass to get the right fit.
                I don't agree ... Your artistic talents are irrelevant because you could base your design off of an existing graphic, either a hi-res photo of a good dash or even a picture of the dash out of an owners manual or other source. The "fit" should be easily accomplished by providing the exact dimensions of the white frame or "surround" to the printer.

By default, all the lettering should then come out in the correct size and in the right locations. Cutting out the applique is then as easy as cutting around the white frame and sticking it on. For the turn signal indicators I'd either freehand those with a very fine brush or simply clean off the existing lettering and leave those blank (since they're self explanatory anyway)...

Regards,
                Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2010, 10:37 AM.

Comment

My gauges looked the same way....I ended up taking off ALL the lettering..I know what the lights mean...less is more.

DDM

Comment

I just want to keep it as original looking I can - hence the lettering. So anyone with hi-res pictures of the bezel?
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2010, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Go to a sign shop with a vinyl printer (called a Gerber Edge). They can print these no problem - the hardest part is setting up the computer file to the exact size. If you redrew the bezel graphics on your computer and gave them the file, it would be best.
                      I have done a few of these (well, not this exact one) - bezel covers, instrument panels and speedo/tach faces with my vinyl printer and they are pretty much indistinguishable from the originals. I had an old BMW and covered the aluminum screenprinted 'rondel' logo on the gas tank with a print I did (BMW logo) and you could not tell the difference - it fooled even the most picky BMW guy in my area (and that is saying something!)

Comment

Here is an interesting twist, not sure how accessible it is to the regular man on the street, but I do not see why not, I would imagine any company will take on any work they get.

We are busy refurbishing and doing a full restoration on a Consilidated PBY 5A Catalina at the moment, and have had the local instrument shop at the airport redo the entire instrument panel.
                        All the placarding on the panel was laser engraved by the instrument shop, and it looks absolutly awesome.
                        When I spoke to the guy about how they do it, he told me that they spray paint down a white base (or colour of your choice) then a coat of black (or whatever the panel or background is) over the white.
                        They then laser cut the letters through the top colour to the white, and you end up with white lettering etched into the panel.
                        Now I do not see that being to difficult in this case, and it would leave the bezel with the letters etched in, as per OEM.
                        Maybe take a ride to your local airport and talk to the instrument guys.
                        That is what I am doing with mine.
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2010, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Just had an idea... Is it possible to remove those plates from the bezel? I could take them off and put them into a scanner. Then it wouldn't be a big issue regarding the right size and the letters would be exact match to the original.

Comment

This one got sorted. Got a NOS part for it. A bit pricey - but lower than some of the second hand speedos go for in eBay...

Comment

A brother P-Touch can do this with clear labels.

Another thing you can do is transfer lettering, although practice to get it straight and a covering clear (compatible with the material) may be needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X