Clear coat coming off on tank...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clear coat coming off on tank...

So the PO dropped the bike, and it had a blemish on the tank. Its not dented but it is "scuffed", but that's how I got the bike... It was dropped and then they stopped riding.

The clear coat and the paint is missing with some rust forming. I can blast the rust and touch it up, but is there any way to stop the clear coat from coming off?

Or am I doomed to just re-painting this tank? It has a few other nicks in it, but no dents...

Also if I do need to repaint... are there any stickers for the GS-450L circa '83? I can't find the same ones and I kind of like them... Since everything else is now working...

Thanks

Doomed...

Unless you can find a way to strip in the clear coat seamlessly.

My tank had blemishes and the only thing to do was to sand down and repaint.

Comment

Time to talk to a painter I reckon. Ask a good paint shop guy if the paint under the clear can be saved - they might be able to carefully sand a feathered edge and go over in clear?

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyR View Post
        Time to talk to a painter I reckon. Ask a good paint shop guy if the paint under the clear can be saved -
        they might be able to carefully sand a feathered edge and go over in clear?
        That is what I was thinking also unless it is too far gone already.
        It doesn't hurt to ask.

Eric

Comment

The colors underneath are metallic, so feathering the clear w/o disturbing it will be nearly impossible. When the clear starts to flake, it's just best to accept that it needs to be stripped and re-painted.
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
            The colors underneath are metallic, so feathering the clear w/o disturbing it will be nearly impossible. When the clear starts to flake, it's just best to accept that it needs to be stripped and re-painted.
            Thanks for the info from the Pro.
            My '83 GK is DOOMED.

Eric

Comment

Oh well I figured as much. Guess it gets painted this winter

Its got a little rust spot forming where the paint was also chipped off. I was hoping there was something to preserve the sticker on the side a little better because I kind of like the flat green tone with the "pin stripe" gold around it. Probably could have the painter replicate that or just go with a flat black or something. Its starting to become a real eye sore on that side though with all of the flaking. It would be worth repainting though, that tank has no dents, no rust and its in great shape. (new petcock and rebuilt the fuel sender unit and installed fresh seals).

Thanks for the tips!

Thanks for the info from the Pro.
              My '83 GK is DOOMED.
              Least your not the only one? (its just paint)

Comment

What is it with the GK's, that is three in one thread, Nancy suffers the same fate.

Comment

This one is doomed...

Eric

Comment

As for the decals, if you do find them somewhere (The couple sites I checked didn't have them for your model), you can expect to pay $90 for a complete set (that seems to be the going rate for my bike at least). I'd rather put that money towards doing some custom work in the paint.

Comment

It's the age of the materials used and the quality of them back in the early 80's. My '82 850 was doing the same thing when I first got it. The '80 is just starting to show evidence of the clear delaminating on it as well.

My best guess is, the material used to paint the bikes of that era was an alkoyd enamal.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I'm not a painter ... But I know they wet sand cars that the clear dies on then reclear the car....No...?????????

Comment

If the clear is faded (depending on how much clear it has) you can sometimes carefully wet sand it and polish it out again. You can also sand it and re-clear it as long as it's not flaking. Once it starts flaking, though..game over.
                          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                            What is it with the GK's, that is three in one thread, Nancy suffers the same fate.

Mine also has the same fate. I attempted to do some sanding and went through the paint and couldn't get the very thick oem clear to blend/fade. So....

An old letter jacket, and some 3m spray glue...
                            '83 GS 1100T
                            The Jet

sigpic
                            '95 GSXR 750w
                            The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

It's not a GK thing. Mine is doing the same a little bit, it's a G not a GK.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                              X