painting a helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

painting a helmet

i decided to paint a helmet for my wife for her birthday. i am having problems finding to different shades of purple spray paint. i plan on doing the helmet purple with a stripe of sea turtles down the middle, and hibiscus flowers in a light purple while doing a dark purple for the main helmet. anyone have any ideas where i can get different shades of purple in the same brand? oh i live in colorado and i am on a budget

Yo might try a Michaels or a Hobby Lobby- One trick I use as well is water slide decals- you print what ever you want on your PC and inkjet- let it dry 30 mins and spray 2-3 light coats of Krylon clear to water proof the ink- then water slide the decal- let dry 24 hours and layer in clear. Might work well on the flower. You can get the decals on Ebay about a dollar a sheet. And it sure beats airbrushing!

Oh and make sure your clear is compatible with your paint- or New Crack City-

Comment

Make sure what ever chemicals and solvent based paints you use it won't compromise the integrity of the helmet.

Comment

i was planning on doin the helmet white, laying down decals, do the light purple, lay down the hibiscus decals, then lay the darker purple. after the dark purple is dried then peeling off all the decals so the colors show that i covered, then clearing the whole helmet. would that work?

Comment

Good point Razor!!!! Yeah that might work- tricky part is getting the parts off- Scoring the edge might help prevent a rip or tear in the paint- take your time and you should be ok.

Comment

the main reason for cleaning up the helmet is its was my old helmet when i was a kid. so that makes it about 16 yrs old. my dad sent it to me because we needed a helmet for her. i will take pics this weekend when i get to working on it. thanks again for everyones help.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2012, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Sorry but a 16 year old helmet should be thrown out, or kept for nostalgic purposes only, and not to be used by anyone anymore especially as a safety device for their head...

Comment

House of Kolor, any colour you could ever imagine, and you can order on line, lots of stencils as well.

Comment

i guess i should set mine on the shelf also, its even older.... its an old bell helmet

Comment

I have to agree with GateKeeper. Helmet regs have increased over the years too so todays helmets, even if they look the same (such as the Bell helmets) are going to be a much better/safer helmet.

You don't have to pay $200+ for a good helmet either. It's your (and your wifes) head (s) so it's your call, but I'd save up and get two new helmets together.

Comment

If you do repaint, consider this design choice...

Comment

That is amazing.

Comment

16+ years old for helmets. Yup time to retire them NOW. Never to be used again.
                          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by razor02097 View Post
                            Make sure what ever chemicals and solvent based paints you use it won't compromise the integrity of the helmet.
                            As mentioned, a sixteen year old helmet is for decoration only, so paint it with whatever you like.

1979 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                            X