Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jmanor
    Guest replied
    I sanded and polished my fins on my Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic and love the look, also been sanding and polishing part sof my restoration/bobber project (82 GS1100GL). I used 120, 220, 320 and 400 sandpaper then Mother's polish. it will turn black and wipe off with clean cloths then afterwards use a nice microfiber cloth and it will shine.

Leave a comment:

• Scratcher09
    Guest replied
    For squaring off fins I use 220 sandpaper on a hard rubber sanding block. And after paint I use sandpaper 400-1000 grit. The block does make it easier. I have also used a palm sander to speed up the process, but that only works when you have the motor out of the frame.

Leave a comment:

• Rob S.
    replied
    Emory cloth?

Leave a comment:

• Scratcher09
    Guest replied
    +1 on posplayer technique
    Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2014, 12:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stetracer
    replied
    Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    You are not just cutting down a flat surface ; the finds wrap on front and back. The Roloc would be way to much for the soft aluminum. This is no more than 15 min per side with a flat file.
    Yep works great

Leave a comment:

• posplayr
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve View Post
    I have also been known to use a Roloc wheel, but VERY carefully, it will easily get away from you.

You are not just cutting down a flat surface ; the finds wrap on front and back. The Roloc would be way to much for the soft aluminum. This is no more than 15 min per side with a flat file.

Leave a comment:

• Steve
    replied
    I have also been known to use a Roloc wheel, but VERY carefully, it will easily get away from you.

Leave a comment:

• posplayr
    replied
    I used a flat file to square off the fins. You can use a sanding block with 250-400 to finish it off. Then paint the engine. After paint is dry sand the top coat of paint off.

inprobably finished with a very fine 800 grit.

same goes for the cam covers except they won't need as much filing.
    Last edited by posplayr; 09-28-2014, 02:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 60ratrod
    Guest replied
    after. it will be much easier

Leave a comment:

• JTGS850GL
    replied
    Sand and polish before I paint or after? I was thinking of doing all the polishing before I paint and then either mask the fins first using 1/8" tape or wipe off the black on the edges using acetone after.

Leave a comment:

• Nessism
    replied
    Sandpaper.

Leave a comment:

• JTGS850GL
    started a topic Best way to polish fins?

Best way to polish fins?

I've seen a lot of black engines with the first few rows of fins on the head polished on the edges. Any suggestions on how to do it?
Working...
X