Turbo'd GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo XS1100

Once upon a time a couple guys took a XS1100 Yamaha and hung a MR. Turbo set up on it. It was a shaft drive. Strange Engineering built a 3 inch extended shaft and housing for it. The rear wheel was split and made wider. The front was raked a few degrees. An air shifter was installed. A water injection tank was used to keep detonation at bay. Wheelie bars were put on to avoid back flips at 100 mph. With 18 to 20 pounds of boost using 125 octane fuel, It ran 9.27 at 149 mph. It was also streetable if you turned the waste gate down to 10 psi. I rode it for 10 years. It was definitly unique... The down side is it used to break the middle drive unit if I got too much traction... I miss that bike...
    Curt
    sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Originally posted by silent_soul View Post
      I think this will turn into just for the sake of doing it, and i know some people wont understand. oh well. I mean I paid 900 for my bike, so considering the turbo is 600 this isnt really going to be a money thing and more of a fun thing.

in the end i guess ill have a list of what your carbs need tuned too, and what blows up first from a turbo setup.
      Well I can almost guarantee the first thing to go will be the clutch basket if you don't re-enforce it. Then next to go will likely be either the bevel gears, thier bearings or both, assuming the hub spline doesn't fail first. Oddly I think the ring gears in the pumpkin would probably handle a lot of it for a while... But do tell when you do it, I'd be interested to see what happens.

Comment

Well I suppose this is a start to what ill need to know.

However two days ago my bike got stolen. With that said I am not really expecting much from the police.

Now I suppose next spring I can try and get my hands on a gs1000 or 1100 chain driven bike and get back to this turbo project. So for now It seems fate wouldnt let me try something that most everyone here assumed doomed to fail...i suppose ineffect the first thing to go on this turbo build plan was the bike...pun intended.

So long story short my bike has been stolen... HOWEVER I will like I said probably be looking to pick up a gs1000 or 1100 chain driven this spring so if you have one for sale or plan on selling in the spring lmk.

Comment

Stolen!

Man, that really sucks!! Though now, you have the opportunity to get yourself soemthing different.
          Godd luck an take care.
          G
          sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
          2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
          Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
          '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

That does suck. Some days I wonder why we stopped beating criminals. Yeah, I know why, I'm just sayin' what I feel. I was just starting to think you might find a way to make this happen too.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Well knowing what i know now, ill get a chain driven bike unless of course there is a screaming deal on a shafty. There are a fair amount of 850's in my area ive seen 6 up for grabs this year and 3 were shaft driven so who knows maybe one will come up for next to nothing this winter. or the optimistic approach the popo will find my bike...

but ya lesson learned even in a nice area you cant trust people for sh*t

Comment

Originally posted by silent_soul View Post
                Well I suppose this is a start to what ill need to know.

However two days ago my bike got stolen. With that said I am not really expecting much from the police.

Now I suppose next spring I can try and get my hands on a gs1000 or 1100 chain driven bike and get back to this turbo project. So for now It seems fate wouldnt let me try something that most everyone here assumed doomed to fail...i suppose ineffect the first thing to go on this turbo build plan was the bike...pun intended.

So long story short my bike has been stolen... HOWEVER I will like I said probably be looking to pick up a gs1000 or 1100 chain driven this spring so if you have one for sale or plan on selling in the spring lmk.
                Oh man, that's awful! Sorry to hear that. I used to leave my bike parked outside, and then a buddy of mine had TWO bikes stolen the same night off the patio in his backyard. I park mine in the garage every night now. Hopefully fate will swing your way and you'll find a screamin deal on exactly what you want. Good luck.

Comment

Keep-em

I would sleep with them to keep them safe but my wifey wouldn't agree.
                  G
                  sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
                  2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
                  Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
                  '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

Working...
                  X