No gas in float bowls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kfholler View Post
    Thanks Tom and Larry - Tom, it was running great a year ago, besides a nasty screech from the front wheel. I couldn't figure out the screeching, and gradual procrastination led to a year of sitting. I think now that the screech is the speedo, and I'm exicted to fix it, but I need to get the bike running first!

I'm really, REALLY, hoping that the seafoam I put in the tank is doing it's job and creeping around de-varnishing everything and freeing up stuck stuff. Major improvement from no fuel flow to too much, tomorrow I'm hoping to assess the situation again. Hopefully I am too smart to try and start it, but I might not be able to resist!
    Good luck and best wishes,but before you wing it, check crankcase for signs of gas - smell , high oil level- cuz that's where overflowing gas also winds up.
    Speedo drives can be easily lubed- or replaced very cheaply!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tom, what kind of lube should I use, and are there pictures anywhere of how to do it? My service manual just says "Lube the speedo drive with every service" but doesn't give any helpful information.

Comment

Tom, what kind of lube should I use, and are there pictures anywhere of how to do it? My service manual just says "Lube the speedo drive with every service" but doesn't give any helpful information.
        DRift on over to Basscliff's emporium and look for front wheel removal pdf-this is close enough to your's bike axle ( you probably have different axle arrangement) to explain how to get at speedo drive. Once removed, you can rotate by hand (no cable attached)- add wd-40 to free up and remove circlip to disassemble and add grease, maybe lithium axle grease. But the screeching could also have come from bearing- does this area look real rusty?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

This grease I have, says it's good for bearings. Good with you, or do you think it worth buying the lithium? I read somewhere else in the forum that you grease the cable, then run it through your hand to squeegee off the excess to make sure you don't have too much, sound kosher? I'm always a little too concerned about getting small detail wrong and ruining the whole project. Thanks!

Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2010, 12:58 PM. Reason: forgot the link

Comment

This grease I have, says it's good for bearings. Good with you, or do you think it worth buying the lithium? I read somewhere else in the forum that you grease the cable, then run it through your hand to squeegee off the excess to make sure you don't have too much, sound kosher? I'm always a little too concerned about getting small detail wrong and ruining the whole project. Thanks!

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...u=63292&ucst=t
            I like greases that are designed to see water- maybe neighbor has boat trailer, you only need a tiny bit! Yeah, cable is likely to need lubing also- sometimes they rust up real bad and turn very hard or just break. Any luck slowly down gas flow?
            1981 gs650L

Comment

where are u located?

Where are you located?

Comment

Russel - Maryland, Tom - I haven't had a chance to see if the gas flow situation has changed. Hopefully I can get a chance to check it out tomorrow night. I've been meaning to get out there and tap on the carbs, maybe I'll do that on my way out to work tomorrow. Thanks.

Comment

I'm pretty frustrated. Today I went out and tried to figure stuff out, draining carbs, watching gas overflow sometimes, but not others. Very frustrating. carbs 1, 2, and 3 drain reliably, and flow freely on PRI. Carb 4 wasn't flowing at first, then started (rapping on the carbs and rocking the bike may have worked, maybe not.) Then I closed it, and the breather tube on that carb started overflowing. I went around to carb 1, opened it up, gas flows, closed it up and the overflow on that side started. Turned the petcock to on to stop the gas, then when I switched back to pri nothing from the overflow, or back on the other side form carb 4 or the overflow on that side. Doesn't seem to follow a pattern to me that makes sense. I'm thinking I'm going to have to find a shop that cleans carbs. One not to far from me said they'd do it for around 200, and they soak them in a solvent with some kind of sonic vibration. I am feeling like it is worth it to be riding, and a "stage 1 service" for 100$ for general type checkover. I would love to have some thoughts from you guys on this. Thanks.

Comment

Well, you tried , but the carbs have to come off and be thoroughly cleaned- the float needles are sticking and most likely the idle passages will be gunked up too. This is the only way to restore reliability and safety. Do what makes you feel comfortable to avoid further frustration. Good luck!
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Hi,

Here's a bit of information that may help.

Overflowing Carbs

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                      X