Please help, gs750es sputtering, cant open full throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help, gs750es sputtering, cant open full throttle

hey guys back again, just want to say thanks in advance for looking at this....got an 83 gs750es, sporty looking bike. 4 cylinder ofcourse ,with yosimura pipe...
    my ignitor/CDI went 2 years ago, bought a few faulty ones off ebay -_- but the one i got the other day seems fine, good spark on the wire ends. but my biggest problem is the guy who was working on the bike had the 3 YELLOW wires cut that go to my regulator plug.
    i disregarded this yesterday, left the regulator unplugged, put about 15$ a supreme gas and a drop of seafoam in the tank to turn it over and see if she starts...The mechanic had all my plug wires removed (ofcourse they are not marked) and all 4 wires to the coils unplugged....i did my best with a google wiring diagram (was a gs 750 e..not es) it starded after a few secconds, will definatly not idle, and sounds like crap when you hold the throttle open to keep it firing...
    I dont want to go pulling the carbourators right away bcause i thought the seafoam would clear out the bit of buildup or gum from old gas...even though i had the gas tank removed from the bike for the last 2 years.

SOLUTIONS ANYONE? i cant even find the correct style of bike on google when i searched for firing orders and wiring diagrams...im really at a loss here...im a smart guy when it comes to problem solving but i didnt take it apart so im frustrated as hell trying to fix it without knowledge

"back again" ? as in you've been here before ? with same bike? You need to head to this link to refresh your memory

A "drop of Seafoam" is a waste of time- pour half a can in 2 gallons of gas and maybe pray- who knows, you might get lucky. Doubtful ,as once the ethanol laced fuel dries in carbs, the seafoam can't find it. But it sounds like you have multiple problems to contend with.

wiring diagrams are somewhat similiar, especially for ignition- maybe this one would help
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Download a service manual from Basscliffs site. Then you can get your wiring correct and clean those carbs. Seafoam is a great product but cannot do what a disassembly and cleaning will do. Save yourself a headache and clean the carbs and check you valve clearances too. They are great bikes, I've owned mine since i uncrated it April of '83.
      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

same bike as that picture yes, she looks sharpe...and yes back again with same bike, i was told my account no longer excisted so to make a new one...

i just finished re-assembling the carbs, the system was drained before i put it away, my jets seem to be free flowing when i blow through em...cleaned it up a bit and put them on the bike..it didnt really make any difference so im lead to believe its a firing order problem

i got the bike to run, pulled the plug wire on the far left, when sitting on bike, and it didnt make any difference to the way it was running...i was gettin a good jolt from the plug wire though...plus the plug has spark when i pull it..

Im going to go check out the link you just supplied, try and figure something out...oh and i put a half can of seafoam in about 10 litres..maybe a little strong but im familliar with the product..just hoping to get a lil cleaner inside everything.

Comment

If you drained fuel completely before storage, you might be OK. Firing order stuff is simple -sitting on bike left coil fires 1 and 4, right fires 2 and 3. If they got switched, 2 cyl would be wrong, so yeah, it would run like crap. No response from #1 when you pull plug wire (but you know it's sparking) ?? check for fuel in bowl. also pull #1 spark plug after a bit of running and see if it appears wet- you could have a stuck float or bad needle seat fouling out #1 plug.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            If you drained fuel completely before storage, you might be OK. Firing order stuff is simple -sitting on bike left coil fires 1 and 4, right fires 2 and 3. If they got switched, 2 cyl would be wrong, so yeah, it would run like crap. No response from #1 when you pull plug wire (but you know it's sparking) ?? check for fuel in bowl. also pull #1 spark plug after a bit of running and see if it appears wet- you could have a stuck float or bad needle seat fouling out #1 plug.
            Not to derail this thread, but I am having some ignition problems and just posted a thread. From your post, the left coil is supposed to regulate #1&4 and RH coil for #2&3? Would this be the same on my '81 850L engine? If so, they got switched around.

Comment

Originally posted by GSOH View Post
              Not to derail this thread, but I am having some ignition problems and just posted a thread. From your post, the left coil is supposed to regulate #1&4 and RH coil for #2&3? Would this be the same on my '81 850L engine? If so, they got switched around.
              yep, should be the same- best to pull gas tank and double check wiring to ignition coils. On my bike, a white wire (from ignitor box) goes to left coil- is this what you find? someone could have gotten creative and not left a note!
              1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                yep, should be the same- best to pull gas tank and double check wiring to ignition coils. On my bike, a white wire (from ignitor box) goes to left coil- is this what you find? someone could have gotten creative and not left a note!
                as near as I can tell, that is the case. There are coil relay mods on each coil so the wiring is a bit chopped up. IF that doesn't affect the factory wiring, I would be safe to switch coils around so LH=#1&4 and RH=#2&3, right?

EDIT: Okay, well, most likely my mistake in running plug wires bag to the right cylinder...LH is on #1&4 and RH is on #2&3. Fires right up.

Need to fix/buy a new petcock as mine is leaking and get the tank back on the bike. I had it up to about 4k rpm with better results; I had to fill up my ~2' temp fuel line with gas and watch it quickly disappear. My guess is that it's fuel starved. Will post back with results.
                Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2013, 08:15 PM.

Comment

alrighty, now the wiring for the coils..theres two wires orange with white stripe, and black with yellow stripe, and a white....i tried to look at the link you posted but its difficult looking at the positioning of the paper diagram in regards to actually sitting on the bike...

when i follow that wiring diagram..my plug wires barely reach on cylinder 4 i think...it doesnt look right unless im misunderstanding the way the paper diagram shows

i realllly cant find a service manual online for free anyways, everythings like 25$

Comment

There's a coloured link in this thread because I asked ValorSolo for it.Should help you out.http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=193730 And a link to the manual http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...anual_1983.pdf from BassCliff's site.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2013, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Go up to post #2, click on 1st link. Then click on "back to basscliff site" in the top left corner. Three columns of manuals to download, yours is halfway down in the center one, and it's free.
                      Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by GSOH View Post
                        as near as I can tell, that is the case. There are coil relay mods on each coil so the wiring is a bit chopped up. IF that doesn't affect the factory wiring, I would be safe to switch coils around so LH=#1&4 and RH=#2&3, right?

EDIT: Okay, well, most likely my mistake in running plug wires bag to the right cylinder...LH is on #1&4 and RH is on #2&3. Fires right up.

Need to fix/buy a new petcock as mine is leaking and get the tank back on the bike. I had it up to about 4k rpm with better results; I had to fill up my ~2' temp fuel line with gas and watch it quickly disappear. My guess is that it's fuel starved. Will post back with results.
                        I'm saving that picture of a prime example of how NOT to do a coil relay mod.

Please at least put some electrical tape on those open hot contacts, and a zip tie to secure that morase of wire and relays you have under there.

Sorry if you did not do the "work", but it is an accident waiting to happen. Is there even a series fuse to pin 30 on the relay? I cant see one.

Comment

Working...
                        X