Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 1150EF charging question . quick?

Hi again,
    the bike is now running on 4 cyls again, thanks to Tom 203 for the suggestion to suspect the petcock, now waiting for a rebuild kit and have to figure out why I have lost the fuel gauge since removing and draining the tank (another post under fuel)
    Anyway, as suggested I have gone over connections; the leads from the stator had 2 sets of connections, making them way too long, I was able to completely remove the middle sections of the leads and a set of bullet style connectors, leaving just three spade style, which must be better..
    I also spliced in additional red and black leads from the RR directly to the battery.
    When I had locked the steering everything stayed on, ignition and headlight, a separate problem, (likely related to why I had to jump power to the rear lights, which had been intermittent, from the license light) but to increase charging on the way home I had pulled the headlamp connector...
    I have just run through the charging system tests per the stator papers and everything is looking good, (ac volts, ohms and diode tests, with 13.5v or so at ldle and just over 14v as the revs go up.
    BUT when I plug the headlamp back in it struggles to get much over 13volts at 3-4k rpm and drops below 12.5 at idle. There is no problem with the battery going flat or starting, I am just being cautious and wishing to be reliable, what do you think??
    Regards to all
    Trevor T
    1984 1150EF in Durham (town) ON Canada
Working...
X