Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

horn issue

Hello everyone -

The horn(s) stopped working on my 1985 GS 700ES last night.

I know it's not a fuse because the horn works fine sometimes, but other times it will not work. (currently it's not working) I can hear what sounds like a faint click at times from the right horn, but nothing else.

I sprayed contact cleaner in the switch housing with no luck.

Is there some type of a relay associated with the horn assembly?

I'm not much of a mechanic, so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Dis-assembly steps, location, part numbers, etc... would be great - pictures would be even better !

Thanks for your time !

markn

No relay in the stock horn wiring.

From the fuse (by the way, it's the same fuse that powers the brake light and turn signals), power goes to one of the horn terminals. From the other horn terminal, it then goes to the switch in the left handgrip, where it gets connected to a ground when the button is pushed.

Points to check would be the contacts on the horn, contacts in the connector in the headlight bucket that has the horn wire, the contacts in the switch and the ground wire for the switch. You should also know that the horn itself can be adjusted a bit. Look on the back side, you will see a set screw with a lock nut. Loosen the lock nut, move the set screw a bit, check the horn. You may be surprised at how much noise you can get out of a stock horn.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X