81 gs750 headlight switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs750 headlight switch

Can I make the on off function work by just taking it Apart?
    Is their a lock out to Remove?
    Thanks

can't say for sure without digging up a wiring diagram for your bike but my 81 Canadian 400's were EZ to defeat Because they have two switches-there's a separate switch for high low, in other words...they disabled this on/off switch to match "New" Legislation per running lights in Canada.....

If you don't have two switches, I'd guess it's unlikely-In the first place, a single switch would need 3 positions and you would be able to see the space it went, even if disabled .......so, It depends on the actual control the factory used . My 82 650 only has HiLo beam up/down) so I inserted a hefty toggle switch on the headlamp's ground wire (close to the lamp itself) as the simplest option but there are several ways to get fancy if you think it's worth it...(switch or relay on Yellow /white stripe or relay on Orange/Red stripe back near the fusebox...etc)
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 08-15-2017, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Mine has hi_low. And on_off. The switch just won't move to the off position.
      I'll tear it apart tonight. Thanks

Comment

The simplest thing to do is order the optional switch, which will allow you to shut it off as it was originally intended. I bought one when I had my '80 GS750 and it installs in a jiffy. The OEM number is 37411-45012 and it costs 5 or 6 bucks. I very rarely turned the light off but if that's what you want to do, that's the way to do it.
        Last edited by rockford; 08-16-2017, 10:41 AM.
        1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

that's good news! Yes, I see the switch in a wiring diagram I have for 750s...
          Sorry, I can't remember exactly what I did to get it working except that it was very easy.

Comment

Regulations and switches aside, unless you have upgraded to a Series R/R you risk fooling a Shunt R/R into overcharging and causing stator damage if you reduce the expected load.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Well after taking it completely apart I c that
              the stop is just a bump on the plastic
              slide on hat needs ground off.
              It is done and all back on and works perfect.
              I only wanted to be able to kill lights during
              start up.
              It now works just like the over seas model.

Comment

Working...
              X