Top 10 Newbie Mistakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed, add this to number 8...

And results in a fried ignitor, which for 450's in particular means lots of pain trying to find a rare working one and they're expensive if you can find one.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
      Ed, add this to number 8...

And results in a fried ignitor, which for 450's in particular means lots of pain trying to find a rare working one and they're expensive if you can find one.
      YES! Very true. ^^^

Comment

Glad I found

this thread. There is a TON of info here so it is sometimes difficult to find. I know I've spent the last two weeks combing NUMEROUS posts to find info I'm looking for, but sometimes after all that it is difficult to find. I actually found this from some other newbie posting a question that was probably asked more than a few times. I kinda fell into that crack of buying a cheaper bike hopin to get some use out of it to save some gas money as times are very tight for me. I was actually going to get a new bike from '09 middle of last season that was still left over but couldn't get financed for the $4K so bought a $900 special instead But ran into charging system issues on the ride home that didn't appear to be there on the test ride. Test rode it about 25 miles and came back. Went home to mull it over and came back the next day to buy it and got about 15miles from where I bought it and had to duck walk start it after filling it up at the gas station That's what I don't understand is that it was fine for a 25mile test ride but wasn't after a 15 mile ride home. Think hit the high rev charging system detonation. Ah well. I've been on a few msg boards though and know some protocol so hopefully wont be seen as that bad of a newbie

Comment

Hey Ed, here's 10A especially since I just did it this week.

10A. Taking pictures of a teardown but not using those pictures when putting back together. Don't just search for the answer on the forum but also on your own computer/book.
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Another add:

n) Trying to work on the bike without the right tools and without a workshop manual... in particular impact driver, metric sockets and wrenches, feeler gauges, spark plug wrench...

Comment

Buying a 550 and trying to spend a fortune to get the performance of a 1100. Either that or weighing in at 25 stone and wondering why your 550 won't top 100mph.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.saunders View Post
                Another add:

n) Trying to work on the bike without the right tools and without a workshop manual... in particular impact driver, metric sockets and wrenches, feeler gauges, spark plug wrench...
                .....and a dirty great big hammer...
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

As a confirmed newbie I have to admit the posts made me laugh and cry. Laugh at how much work still has to be done, and cry at how much it will cost..... C'est la Vie.

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                    Buying a 550 and trying to spend a fortune to get the performance of a 1100. Either that or weighing in at 25 stone and wondering why your 550 won't top 100mph.
                    Wow, my 83 550 tops way over 100.

Comment

Are you 25 stone? That's 350lbs...

If so I'd like to see a picture, could use a laugh!!
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Nowif only i had these when i started out, life would have been sooo much simpler and incident free. Can't think of any new ones to add, most of my clangers have been covered in one way shape or form.

Comment

torque wrench

Thinking that having the right tool means you will do it right. 40 ft-lb is less than hand-tight, and the wrench "click" is pretty quiet... A few sprocket nuts and bolts later, I now know better

Trusting a shop (stealership especially) will do a good inspection of your bike and that it means its safe to ride. If you need help with something, go to a small shop with guy who has his reputation on the line... I now know that chain maintenance is REALLY important, and a chain that comes off (no even break) can still do a lot of damage - I am taking out my gearshifting shaft and clutch shaft to straighten them out as the chain bent them pretty bad. Which means I have to take my clutch apart first
                          Cheers,
                          Jonah

1979 GS1000 w/h full fairings, 65k, Winter Project
                          1978 GS550C, 30k
                          http://1978gs550c.blogspot.com/

Comment

This guy http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=179939

Comment

Very nice stuff on here, This one is more for laughs but i could see it happening
                              15) Getting really nice and intoxicated and decide to fix some things on your bike... then waking up the next day and hop on your bike with some unfamiliar sounds, if it starts at all!

Comment

Originally posted by 78gs1000 View Post
                                Very nice stuff on here, This one is more for laughs but i could see it happening
                                15) Getting really nice and intoxicated and decide to fix some things on your bike... then waking up the next day and hop on your bike with some unfamiliar sounds, if it starts at all!
                                Or deciding you can carry your engine all the way across the yard after using aircraft stripper and a brush to get the clearcoat off earlier in the day when you used the dolly to get it over there in the first place. And wondering why your back hurts so bad the next morning... Hypothetically, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                X