Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Points / Timing Issue

Dear GS enthusiasts,
    I recently replaced my points and I'm know having a difficulty getting the timing dialed in on my 1978 gs750. This is the first time I have performed this seemingly simple operation and my Clymer manual is rather succinct / vague on the whole procedure.
    Is there any patient old salt who would not mind walking me through the process starting at the initial removal of the points cover? I think the best way to go about this is a fresh start from square one. Thanks for your time!

this is what i have run across,first turn the shaft until points 1 and 4 are all the way open, check the gap not sure of the gap but it sounds like you know that part. regap if needed and do the same thing for points 2-3.
    then for points 1-4 turn the shaft until the timing line in the window of the points plate lines up with the line that say f1-4 at this point it should just begin to open if not the hook up a 12v test light and ground it correctly and slacken the three big screws holding the main point plate down then rotate te plate while the test light it hooked up and slowly turn the plate to the point where the light is flickering on and off with the plate stationary, this sets the points to open at the correct time.
    tighten the screws back down and rotate the engine a full turn to double check that the points are still beginning to open when the timing line is lined up with the f1-4 line. then do the same thing with 2-3 the only difference is the 2-3 points have there own adjustment plate its noticably there so dont unscrew the 3 screws and turn the big points plate again or that will throw off the 1-4 points again. take your time and double check. it doesnt take much for these things to be off to make the bike run like crap or not even start

Comment

The above post is correct, except you should confirm the settings with a timing light, which is more accurate

Also, did you replace the condensors also? New points wihout new condensors will just burn up and you'll be wishing you paid for a Dyna S
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

didnt think of a timing light. i dont have one tho so that might be why i didnt think of it lol

Comment

When you get your points set correctly, you should consider this

Comment

i have actually been thinking about that myself. i tried the dyna igintion and i got spark a few times and then it quit on me, i tried everything to get it going again and i could so i went back to points. i also am thinking about the coil resistors that he has because i have 3 ohm coils cause i bought them for the dyna ignition

Comment

Originally posted by tc862011 View Post
              i have actually been thinking about that myself. i tried the dyna igintion and i got spark a few times and then it quit on me, i tried everything to get it going again and i could so i went back to points. i also am thinking about the coil resistors that he has because i have 3 ohm coils cause i bought them for the dyna ignition
              You're really struggling with this bike stuff, aren't you?

The Dyna S is fool proof (supposedly). Mine's going in 30 years old without a glitch.

Get rid of the points, forget that overpriced condensor and troubleshoot your Dyna S. Call or email their tech support, they're very helpful, I'm told
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Not really struggling. just some bad luck here and there. Will be having a new one come in soon and try again. I got the dyna s so i wouldntt have to worrry about points. Dont see how i could be struggling to much the bike is running great just trying to tie up some troublesome gremlins. Not to worried right now since the bike is running so good. Will get everything tied up this winter with the 650 converson

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna try and sort out these points since I've already purchased them but this Dyna S has me intrigued. Good results?

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    The above post is correct, except you should confirm the settings with a timing light, which is more accurate

Also, did you replace the condensors also? New points wihout new condensors will just burn up and you'll be wishing you paid for a Dyna S
                    Hey Big T,
                    I was thinking about going the Dyna S route for my 1978 gs750. Which model Dyna is right for my bike and how straight forward is the install?
                    Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by jambon View Post
                      Hey Big T,
                      I was thinking about going the Dyna S route for my 1978 gs750. Which model Dyna is right for my bike and how straight forward is the install?
                      Cheers!
                      I have one on mine and it was cake to install. You have to identify which points you have on that bike, there were two different models for 1978, depending on the factory in Japan. They are pretty easy to identify, and Dyna or Z1 will have pictures and tips to figure out which points you have. The type of points you have dictates which DynaS module you need to buy.

Z1 explains that in their catalog.

Comment

Hey Big T,
                        Cheers!
                        As above, Check your condensors

1. If they runs horizontally across the timing plate, they're ND
                        2. If the ends of the condensors point out from the plate, they're the other one (KD?)

Installing as Dyna S couldn't be any easier, plus they have tech support if you can't figure it out. Plus, there's this forum

Others have reported the pickups going bad, but I installed mine in the early 80's and it's never failed. I did check it about 2 years ago and tweaked the timing plate a few degrees
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Dear GS enthusiasts,
                          I recently replaced my points and I'm know having a difficulty getting the timing dialed in on my 1978 gs750. This is the first time I have performed this seemingly simple operation and my Clymer manual is rather succinct / vague on the whole procedure.
                          Is there any patient old salt who would not mind walking me through the process starting at the initial removal of the points cover? I think the best way to go about this is a fresh start from square one. Thanks for your time!
                          Hey Jambon, did you get your points to work OK?
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                            Hey Jambon, did you get your points to work OK?
                            I just placed an order for my new DynaS ignition system. I am very happy to kiss my points goodbye! Thanks Big T and MisterCinders for all your help!

Comment

Working...
                            X