gs750t Fork oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs750t Fork oil

Would some one know the fork oil type and amount to put in a 1982 gs750t?
    Thanks for any answer

I have 5w in mine, plan was to start low and work my way up.
    Never saw the need though, rides like it's on rails.

Tank

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool
      I would use the manufacture recommendation with a little adjustment for riders riding habits and typical road conditions.
      I might, too, but the "manufacturer's recommendations" from that era are typically a 50/50 mix of ATF and 30-weight engine oil or something like that.

Nowadays we have good, reliable fork oils, but even they are not all that consitent.

I remember seeing a comparison test some time ago that evaluated fork oils from several manufacturers. They found that one manufacturere's 15w was about the same viscosity as another manufacturer's 5w. To make matters worse, they were both reputable companies, whose products you are likely to find on any dealer's shelf.

I just looked at the bottles of fork oil on my shelf and found that I am using Spectro fork oil, and it's 10w. I like it. Other popular brands include Torco and Bel-Ray, I am sure there are others, as well.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've always used a 30w in my forks since they have zero adjustment (though I just recently fixed that problem by installing some 1100E forks now). There is plenty of good fork oil out there in all wts now days.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

15w
          Just remember that that quantity assumes completely dry forks. If you turn them upside and let them drain for a few hours that will be close enough (pump them a few times too) but if you try to suck the old oil out you'll some undetermined amount of oil left in there and the forks will be overfilled.
          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Thanks for your time and explaining the basics. The lighter one then

BTW your bike looks awsome

I wouldn't use either, as my own personal choice, the lighter is a 10w, and the heavy is a 20w, I would buy both, and blend to a 15w, my personal setup for my bike, I use 15w and that's what works for me, if you really want to buy one, the lighter 10w would be fine, several members here use that weight and like the results, different bikes perform differently. Personally, I think the 20w by itself is a little too heavy, may cause a little tire bounce on some road surfaces as it won't be able to react quick enough to absorb the road shock, Some use the 5w fork oil, but I believe for most bikes, that's a little light, depends on you spring rate as well, stock, progressive, added preload. My spring have been modified so that's why a heavier oil works for me, but may not work for the next guy.
            So.....to answer your question...start with the lighter. Personal opinion.

Comment

Heres a bunch more to make your choice more difficult.

I used the Suzuki brand 15W. $2.96 a qt

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
              X