1978 GS750E oil leak from LH Crankcase / Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS750E oil leak from LH Crankcase / Starter

I bought a long time sitting GS750E and gave it new plugs, oil, battery, and went through the carbs. Just the quick expected stuff and wanted to see if it would run. Got it started without much issue and it appear to be running fine but I have an oil leak. Oil coming out of the mystery hole so replaced the O-ring on the starter and that seems to be doing just fine. However, for some dumb reason I didn't notice the gaping hole from where wires are going into my left hand crank case as seen in the photo. I'm looking through my manuals, going on Bike Bandit for schematics and I can't seem to determine precisely what these wires are and what part I need to buy to seal that hole. My guess is that it's a gear selector wire and maybe oil sensor? I'd love to avoid draining out all my fresh synthetic oil but want to fix it correctly. I'm guessing there is some kind of grommet I need for this hole and will have to pull off the LH crankcase to install it.

Can anybody tell me what these wires are and tell me what the seal or grommet is at this opening so I can buy one? Bonus points if you know where I can buy one too.

Thank you in advance for the help.
    Attached Files

Looks like the wires coming from stator that snake up in left cover thru starter motor area. Supposed to be a molded in rubber grommet around the wire sheath to block oil. If stator assembly was replaced with non oem unit, sometimes a new grommet is not supplied and you have to improvise.

Speaking of stator stuff... did you catch the charging system mandates? Here's a starting point

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thank you for the reply. What you're describing with the stator is the only seal I can find that might have failed. Pulling the case off today to see what I find. Seems like getting an OEM stator is pretty pricey. Unfortunately it's doing its job, I just have to seal that gap but it appears the only way to seal that gap is to buy a new stator that has the seal included. I could probably add some high temp sealant but probably better just to replace the stator. Anybody have advice for an aftermarket stator that's good quality? Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X