oh the fun of buying used!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh the fun of buying used!

So my bike went from dead as a door nail to wonder bike but there is still some issues I am finding. So I have been trying to tune my carbs for idle and have messed with the mixture screws some and the main idle screw and I had noticed before but really noticed today in going up and down mountains that I was feeling something through the pegs.

I previously had thought it was my chain and sprockets coming through my pegs which are indeed in need of replacement and next on the list. I use a 3/4 helmet with face shield but its still noisy so I couldnt hear anything ... Just 37 years of riding motorcycles telling me something is coming through my feet.

Popping I have experienced with this same bike back in the late 70's was exhaust leaks so I figured, I cant hear anything but let me go over the exhaust. Bolts at the head were fine so on to the next juncture. Pipes to mufflers.

Go to tighten one .. tight as can be didn't get a 1/4 turn

Go to the next ... spin spin spin. Hmm this is either the longest bolt in history meant to test ancient greek suitors or .. its stripped.

Bingo .. I finally got it out and the bolt was completely stripped where it would need to tighten. The nut part seems fine because I was eventually able to screw it out but what happened was whoever installed it bottomed out the back end of the screw into the engine case and they kept turning.

So the muffler was just kind of held in place by the clamp and bracket and the clamp was not actually sealing anything.

Like the stupid rubber grommets that hold the side panels I previously warned about .. this is another warning. Just as a matter of your rebuild .. give a once over to the output side and make sure the headers and mufflers are tightened up.
Working...
X