Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of the price on this bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think of the price on this bike?

I am looking at this bike on craigslist. Here are the specs.

82 GS650
    All gauges working, owner reports no problems mechanically or electronically.
    Current inspection/registration.
    Still waiting on mileage

Is $1200 too much for this bike?

Eh.. Needs to be VERY clean for that price. You'll need to see it in person to know, but I mean VERY clean.

Comment

If I could get him down to 800 would that be more realistic?

Comment

Where are you? If it's clean & mechanically very good it would probably just about see that out here in California...
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Today 11:38 PM doctorgonzo Eh.. Needs to be VERY clean for that price. You'll need to see it in person to know, but I mean VERY clean.
          I agree it might be a bit overpriced, but looks to be worth a closer look.

A couple of things I see are, non OEM paint, OEM rear shocks, front turn signals not in the original mounting position, and aftermarket bars (a good thing). If you are not in a hurry you should be able to find a better deal.
          82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
          81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
          83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
          06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
          AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

19,100 Miles

Comment

Pretty low milege.
              Warm states tend to get more for their bikes. Especially non salt states.
              Offer 800 and see what happens. Bring a grand with you. People have a hard time saying no to cash.
              Ride it and take a good look at it first. Take your time on this part and keep the seller guessing.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I can't think of any compelling reason to spend $1200 on that bike. A lot depends on personal preference but for my money, I'd rather have a 750,850,1000 or 1100. The more I ride and the farther I ride, the more I want a larger bike. IMHO they are just more comfortable for long distance riding. For short distance, in town riding, the 550 or 650 is fine. If you like the bike, I would think $700-$800 would be a reasonable offer.

Comment

Yea I am hoping to get it for 8. It will be my first bike and most people I talk to say dont go much bigger than 6

Comment

i paid $600 for a GS750 running. not as nice as that bike, but presentable - only 15,000 on the speedo

i paid $400 for a cb750 that ran - but regreted paying that - it cost more than it should to get it road ready.

i paid $700 for a running kz650 with 14,000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by exbellicus View Post
                      I am looking at this bike on craigslist. Here are the specs.

82 GS650
                      All gauges working, owner reports no problems mechanically or electronically.
                      Current inspection/registration.
                      Still waiting on mileage

Is $1200 too much for this bike?
                      Everything Tim TWR1776 said.

Plus I will also point out the obvious that hasnt been stated: that is a GS650GL.
                      And then further explain that GL = G for shaft drive, L for cruiser.
                      But has had the cruiser buckhorn bars replaced with flater - lower - shorter bars.

Last edited by Redman; 01-04-2010, 09:38 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

It will be my first bike and most people I talk to say dont go much bigger than 6
                        For your first bike, the 550 or 650 is an excellent choice. Even something smaller would be OK to learn on.

Comment

My son picked up the same bike last year all stock with just under 16k on the speedo for $450. It needed alittle work, mostly just maintenance type. It has been a great first bike for him, especially for shorter drivers as my son is 5'6".
                          For me the bike would have to be mint to get that kind of money with new tires and all the typical maintenance done so you just have to ride it for the first season. Good luck

Comment

I'm not a fan of the L model 650 since the tank is smaller and the front brakes only have one disk while the G has 2. Those bars might not be the best choice for that bike with a stepped seat out back, I would consider changing them.

As to price, 800 would be a great deal, 1000 is probably tops. It all depends on condition SO take someone with you that is familiar with bikes in general and the GS line in particular.

Is there someone local to him that can go along?
                            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                            X