Rak'in it out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rak'in it out

I have a couple of old project 82 GS1100e's that I want to do something special with. I also have a third that is my trusty steed. What I want to do is build a custom that is long and low, NO Hardtails. I wanted to get some input on one main area, Rake. I want to rake the front end by cutting the neck stem loose at the bottom and changing the angle of the neck. I would like to make a 1 1/2 to 2 inch gap at the bottom, and leave the top of the neck in the factory position. The actual metal work part is a cakewalk for me because I have a machine shop. The big question is, "How much is to much" I am sure I will wind up punching it upon occasion, and going into the triple digits. That is just part of the GS1100E experience.

Defining to much is, something that would cause oscillation, or weird handling. I don't care if it has significantly different handling characteristics. I just don't want to have something that looks good and handles like a pig. Especially if the pig part is something that will cause loss of control.

So if any one has any input I would sure appreciate it.

Here you go...it's on the bottom of the page.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html

Comment

Originally posted by Texasgs View Post

I just don't want to have something that looks good and handles like a pig. Especially if the pig part is something that will cause loss of control.

The 1100Es have been known to "move around" a bit at speed in the stock configuration. Not sure what Rak'in its gonna do. The later GSXs have a bit more rake. Maybe get some measurements off one of them.

Good luck.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
        the 1100es have been known to "move around" a bit at speed in the stock configuration. Not sure what rak'in its gonna do. The later gsxs have a bit more rake. Maybe get some measurements off one of them.

Good luck.
        Go Vikes ! :d

Comment

Originally posted by Texasgs View Post
          I would like to make a 1 1/2 to 2 inch gap at the bottom, and leave the top of the neck in the factory position. .

1 1/2" will end up around 12 more degrees rake. Yer gonna need some longer forks.

Comment

Working...
          X