Mechanical Tachometer to Electronic Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanical Tachometer to Electronic Conversion

82 1100E here with an 1150E engine that does not use the mechanical tachometer.

I was looking for options to replace my speedometer cluster and kept having trouble finding an affordable option that I liked the look of.

But I just ran across this option that is very cool and I thought it would be worth sharing. A conversion kit : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRcWSNRRE9E

image.png

https://urevco.com/media/

I am not sure I want to spend $90, but it sure is a clever work around. If anyone knows of something like this that is cheaper, I am all in.
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

I did find this gauge set I liked but currently it is not offered in MPH:.... also this gauge does not have an oil temp gauge. (although I am talking to the mfg about their plans)
    image.png

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806261644285.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.7cf538da7 GdQyg&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

This one is almost the same and is in MPH. I don't like it as well though and it also doesn't have an oil temp gauge.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805832121806.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.7cf538daN afr6T&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

Comment

Those complete gauge sets weren't a think last time I was shopping. Or maybe I was searching for the wrong thing. The fitment isn't exactly a match for your bike. For my esthetic sense (I do have one), I'd prefer the uRevco option, except that the circuit board doesn't look like it's made to withstand any vibration. I wouldn't trust it until I had slathered it in epoxy to waterproof it and support the tall components.

This has been on my mind, since good original gauges are getting harder to find. Harder to pay for, anyway.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thank you, you are right, they aren't an exact fitment, the brackets have to be adapted... actually I have several 82 gs1100e gauge brackets that I could adapt it with. As far as the looks, my 82 1100e is actually modified to look like a 78gs1000... so these gauges appeal to my senses for matching the stock gs1000 gauges. They also have the large diameter 3.5" faces.

To expand on the uRevco option, If I could find a Suzuki electronic RPM gauge...(even just the guts) it may be possible to adapt it to the gs1100 faceplate and eggshell casing.

The only problem with that is cost also though. I doubt anyone with a tachometer with a broken shell would bother posting it on ebay.
        82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
        80 gs1000s

Comment

B12 and B6 tachs are electric and the same size as the 82 e , just saying or just get a koso , herd good things about acewell gauges as well.

Comment

Use a Katana tach or instrument cluster as it has a mechanical speedo and fuel gauge and electric tach. I am looking into this with my GS750 as I have a Katana engine and electrics on another GS750 build.
            Current:
            1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
            1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
            1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
            1998 Chevy C2500
            1999 Rav4

Comment

Originally posted by unfocused View Post
              Use a Katana tach or instrument cluster as it has a mechanical speedo and fuel gauge and electric tach. I am looking into this with my GS750 as I have a Katana engine and electrics on another GS750 build.
              Thank you, I like the look of those since they look more balanced, and would take up all the radius of my windscreen. You have given me something to keep an eye out for.

From a quick look, I guess it's the pre-1998 I need to focus on. I like the 1991 SUZUKI KATANA 750 gauges the best so far.
              Last edited by Gregory; 04-08-2024, 04:08 PM.
              82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
              80 gs1000s

Comment

I ran a KOSO on the 750.It was decent once I got it setup
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                X