82' GS1100E rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82' GS1100E rebuild

Hey everyone, ive been in the forums for a while now but havent had much time to work on the bike so im just getting around to updating my progress.

1982 GS1100E 11k miles, weird custom paint job, definitely got some wear and tear but for the most part the bike was in ok shape. Made sure it fired up and ran for a while and could shift through gears and all that when i bought it off the guy for 1500.

It needed a few odds and end done when i got it home but i fired it up and was going to take it out, but it would die after about 1 minute of running. had to choke start, and if i took it off it would die, then it progressed into not starting at all.

So anyways long story short i pulled just about everything off and am currently doing full rebuild and parts verification. heres a list of things i have completed!

- Fork seal swap/service (oil, waiting on tool for air service, eventually plan on ditching and upgrading springs) fully installed
    - Front wheel bearings
    - Front brake bleed
    - valve clearances set (just about every valve had no clearance, no damage as far as i could tell)
    - New clutch plates and springs installed, fully serviced
    - New clutch cable
    - Oils all drained and reserviced
    - Carbs torn apart, dipped in Berrymans overnight, scrubbed and cleaned and verified OEM, replaced a couple that needed it, waiting on a couple odds and ends bolts to reassemble and set to spec
    - airbox/filter replaced
    -brand new seals for every things from the airbox to the exhaust (still have to install most)

STILL TO DO
    - full electrical clean up
    - swap r/r (got a compufire unit already)
    - Rear brake rebuild (master cylinder is seized)
    - New chain install
    - Carb reassemble/vacuum synch
    - Re-tap all the valve cover threads and install

I have alot of parts on the way still that should be straightforward installs, but with how its been going so far, you never know. Every bolt on the carbs had to be drilled out, every set of threads on the cylinder head that attaches the valve cover is going to have to be cleaned up and re tapped due to previous owner nonsense, the retainer bolt on the forks that hold the inner rod had to be extracted, and none of these parts were rusty or stripped to begin with, i think its just most of them havent been removed since the 80s! Looking back on it i think a bit of heat mightve helped me out in some of these cases, but oh well.

Been a ton of super useful info on the forum and its been a huge help, thanks to everyone! PS, this is the only pic i saved on my phone ill update as i get stuff done gs.jpg
    Attached Files

Well done SIr. I'm a fan of the 1100es. Thanks for saving another one.
    Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
    Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Working...
    X