Vintage Racing a 78, GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vintage Racing a 78, GS1000

Home video dated 2010, Looks like AHRMA vintage racing.
    Really impressive power from this guys bike. Well, compared to the other bikes.
    They made him start from 100 yards behind the grid!

Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-13-2022, 06:52 AM.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

I might be wrong but the guy with the beard working on the bike looks like he might be GregT one of our resident Kiwi's.....
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      I might be wrong but the guy with the beard working on the bike looks like he might be GregT one of our resident Kiwi's.....
      GregT lives on New Zealand right? Is that the right landscape, I don't see any mountains.
      I was thinking it was a New England area track. Possibly Mass or Conn.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Midnight OIl playing in the background of vid, so maybe down that way. The "sky high" moments were entertaining.

Dispensing of the all the competitors was also fun to watch.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Yep, that's me - and it's old history now. That was in the early stages of the bike's development. Wider 17in rims, better frame bracing, bigger valves - stainless, bigger carbs - 33 Keihin CR's.
          Slightly higher lift cams with TI retainers and 10mm OD shims under stock buckets ground flat. And a welded crank....10800 rpm as a usable limit.
          Never dynoed it but it ran with worked FZR1000's so probably around 130hp at the wheel.
          Very successful locally for several seasons incl wins at the Burt Munro - then the owner/rider got quite sick. He's better now but it's been parked up for a couple of years now. It came back to me for a look over and service about 6 months ago. I don't know his plans for it at this point. Three kids have slowed him down a tad.
          In the video i think it is lapping in about 1.50 or so. Fully developed it did an official 1.44.9. The couple of GS1000's running at local meetings now haven't gone under 1.50 to my knowledge.

Comment

I like the minimum shop equipment Greg, just lay the bike in the dirt for open case adjustments. Just kidding.
            Great results Greg, that is a raging beast.
            The sound does resemble my humble 1100G.
            Amazing corner leans with BT45s! Did the rider have many low sides?
            Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-15-2022, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Grass roots racing, early Superbikes. It doesn't get any better than that. Thanks OP!
              Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
              Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                I like the minimum shop equipment Greg, just lay the bike in the dirt for open case adjustments. Just kidding.
                Great results Greg, that is a raging beast.
                The sound does resemble my humble 1100G.
                Amazing corner leans with BT45s! Did the rider have many low sides?
                No low sides. His brother did have one enormous high-side on them though. Nearly as talented a rider - just got unlucky with a sudden throttle response.
                From memory i was putting an additional plate in the clutch. Done clutch work at the track like that many times before. If you're careful it stays clean.

Comment

I thought it was you... it wasn't a very clear shot but there can't be many Father Christmas stunt doubles working on fast old Suzuki's....
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                  X