AMA 2014 Superbike Schedule -SAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMA 2014 Superbike Schedule -SAD!

As a fan of road racing and old enough to have seen a lot of the great American racers (Cooley, Lawson, Spencer, Rainey, Roberts, Merkel, etc.) in the 70's and 80's it is sad to see the state of AMA road racing today. The 2014 schedule was announced today..............just FIVE events! Pathetic!

I remember when AMA road racing racing was the premier motorcycle road racing series in the world outside of the World Championship 500/250/250 Grand Prix. 1025cc Superbikes ran along with 750cc two strokes in the Formula One and 250cc two strokes in 250 GP classes. Superbikes were true race bikes, not the lightly modified street bikes they are today. It is no wonder that the factories have all dropped out. I feel sorry for younger fans who never had the chance to see AMA road racing at its best.....

Okay, rant over......Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Yep, sucks.
    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

The normal spectator can't tell the difference between the classes anymore. Their premier class is what now 600cc Daytona Sportbike. No more 1000cc Superbike as the premier class. Then take away the two stroke GP classes they used to have. All the AMA classes today look and sound the same to most spectators.

I miss the two stroke classes here and at the Moto GP level. Those Moto 3 bikes are the sickest sounding race bikes I have ever heard in my life!!! Give me back the buzz of a healthy two stroke any day. I don't even watch the AMA or the Moto GP races anymore. Most of today's classes all sound and look the same. I would rather watch an old tape of a '80's or 90's 500cc Grand Prix than any of todays racing.

Comment

The lack of TV deal and GEICO dropping their sponsorship of the series will mean a number of teams won't even bother with the series. Jordan Racing has already quit the AMA, that leaves Yamaha and Yoshimura as contenders and everyone else as also rans

The current managers have just run the series into the ground

Geez, nothing west of Wisconsin?

Really playing to their fan base
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Its the same here in Canada. No money with the lackluster economy. Mopar is the title sponsor!!!! We should be thankful there is a series at all.
          The first march with the Satellite dish newly installed i'd call in sick from
          work and keep the phone off the hook to watch the 200!!! And many other
          races!!

Miss the 500s to

Comment

Yeah, the perfect storm of the DMG takeover and their incredibly misguided "reforms", combined with the economy crashing in '09 basically killed the series. It's taken a while for the momentum and goodwill it had to be dissipated, but that's where we're at now. Very, very sad.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Some really good racing here. Highly suggest a trip to the Springfield Mile for locals and semi locals. Best racing ever. And the HD XR-750 does not rule the roost any longer .

Complete 2014 AMA Pro Flat Track Schedule
              1. March 13 - Daytona Flat Track I, Daytona Beach, Fla.
              2. March 14 - Daytona Flat Track II, Daytona Beach, Fla.
              3. May 25 - Springfield Mile I, Springfield, Ill.
              4. June 15 - Knoxville Half-Mile, Knoxville, Iowa
              5. June 28 - Lima Half-Mile, Lima, Ohio
              6. July 5 - Hagerstown Half-Mile, Hagerstown, Md.
              7. July 19 - Grays Harbor Half-Mile, Elma, Wash.
              8. July 26 - Sacramento Mile, Sacramento, Calif.
              9. August 2 - Castle Rock TT, Castle Rock, Wash.
              10. August 5 - Sturgis Half-Mile, Rapid City, S.D.
              11. August 8 - Indy Mile, Indianapolis, Ind.
              12. August 17 - Peoria TT, Peoria, Ill.
              13. August 23 - Colonial Downs Mile, New Kent, Va.
              14. August 31 - Springfield Mile II, Springfield, Ill.
              15. September 28 - Santa Rosa Mile, Santa Rosa, Calif.
              16. October 11 - Flat Track Season Finale, Pomona, Calif.

Comment

It is kind of sad, but being the optimist that I am, I can see a bright side.

So I watch all sorts of racing: SX, MX, MotoGP, WSB, AMA, supermoto, flat track, Enduros, etc.

To be completely honest, I always fall asleep watching AMA. Literally. I watch racing at night after the kid goes to bed, and drool hits the couch cushion before I see the checkers when an AMA race is on. Not sure why, but it's like watching freeway traffic most of the time.

NoH2Oh,
                I happen to think your suggestion is more than just that. All things must die, it's the circle of life. And everything repeats. Flat track was the beginning of American motorcycle racing; it only makes sense that it resembles the rebirth of the sport.

What I like about FT is that it's more about the rider than the money. You can't give an average racer massive HP (or $$) and expect him to win. Skill rules the roost. It's fun, it's a good spectator sport, and it's grass roots.

I'll be tuning into more FT racing this year, and I'll make the Castle Rock TT for sure. It's just up the road from me, less than 45 min away.

-Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by NoH2Oh View Post
                  Some really good racing here. Highly suggest a trip to the Springfield Mile for locals and semi locals. Best racing ever....
                  No matter where you live, you ought to see the Springfield mile at least once in your life.
                  '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Would love to see a flattrack race!!! Awesome stuff!!

Comment

It appears someone may be organizing an alternate series....

Triple Crown Series
                      IBA# 24077
                      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Some really good racing here. Highly suggest a trip to the Springfield Mile for locals and semi locals. Best racing ever. And the HD XR-750 does not rule the roost any longer .
                        Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                        No matter where you live, you ought to see the Springfield mile at least once in your life.
                        Yes, I agree that Flat Track racing is probably the best spectator motorcycle racing around. The Springfield Mile is fantastic. The Peoria TT is great as well. One rgeat thing about Flat Track racing is that the racers are very fan friendly. everyone is allowed into the pits after the races and just about all the racers are out autographing posters and having pictures taken.

I am (again old enough to have seen some of the Flat Track greats in their prime - Scotty Parker, Jay Springsteen, Bubba Shobert, Ricky Graham (best ever, in my opinion), Nicky Hayden,and even Kenny Roberts (after retirement, just playing around). I haven't been to a race for a year or two, need to correct that this year......

Thanks,
                        Joe
                        Last edited by Joe Nardy; 01-16-2014, 10:34 AM.
                        IBA# 24077
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Best thing about mile racing is when they pitch'em sideways at the end of the straight!!!

I remember back at the Indy Mile when Keener and Leafspring were playing handtag down the straights, and all of a sudden out of nowhere on the last lap came this howling yellow rocket ship!!!

All hail The King, Long live The King
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-16-2014, 01:17 AM. Reason: badd grammer!!

Comment

An XR on a well groomed half mile is poetry in motion in my book.

I just hope all of today's technology have not made half and mile flat track races a one groove affair.

Comment

[QUOTE=Joe Nardy;1988161]
                              ...Ricky Graham (best ever, in my opinion)...
                              Amen brother...

Comment

Working...
                              X