Guy Martin crash - Ulster GP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guy Martin crash - Ulster GP

Apparently he's OK, but I don't think Guy does anything that isn't 'spectacular'!

IBA# 12860
    Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
    1984 KZ1100R
    2008 Kawasaki KLR650
    2011 Concours 1400

Ooof, that had to hurt. I hope he's OK. He's brilliant.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Doesn't look too good?
      I though these bikes came with some traction control?
      Hope he recovers quickly!
      sigpicJohn Kat
      My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
      GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

He had no chance to catch that.
        If he had traction control, it must have been turned off.

Comment

He's fortunate he wasn't dealing with walls & trees! Hope he's OK.
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

He'll miss some racing, but he's resilient, for sure!

http://tychttp://tycobmw.com/guy-martin-out-of...er-grand-prix/

Indeed, looks more serious than first reports indicated. Good prognosis hopefully...

Guy Martin has been ruled out of the 2015 Ulster Grand Prix, after the injuries he sustained in a crash during yesterday’s opening superbike race were discovered to be more serious than first imagined. Martin highsided out of the lead of the Dundrod 150 Superbike race on the final lap at Irelands, but was initially judged by the trackside doctors to have non-serious injuries. However, after undergoing at CT scan at Belfast’s Royal Victoria Hospital, where he was taken as a precaution, he was discovered to have a broken sternum, vertebra and ribs. Martin will undergo surgery later today to stabilise the fracture to his back.
            Last edited by eddie21; 08-07-2015, 01:42 PM.
            IBA# 12860
            Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
            1984 KZ1100R
            2008 Kawasaki KLR650
            2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Just read he's broken his back.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by eddie21 View Post
                He'll miss some racing, but he's resilient, for sure!
                Ian Hutchinson had a really bad accident a few years back.
                He worked his way back & really dominated the recent Isle of Man TT.

Comment

I couldn't see how he lost control as it looks like he made the corner very well but the fact the bike stood up makes me think he hit the brakes?
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

No, it doesn't look like that at all. Too much throttle too soon would be my guess.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

yes, a little too much power, his back wheel is spinning on exit
                      the bike stood up when the rear wheel regained traction .....typical high side
                      bummer
                      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Thanks for posting. I tried to find out more information on his condition yesterday, but couldn't find much. My buddy, who was there, told me today that he had broken a few bones. Cracked vertebrae, that's a bit close! I'm about midway through his autobiography from last year. I wish him the best.

cg
                        sigpic
                        83 GS1100g
                        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Traction control helps, but does not completely eliminate wheel spin. You see the same thing in MotoGP, and they have the very best traction control, probably tuned to each track. The crash may not have been an error either. Some condition on the track may have caused the lack of traction. Guy probably won't remember, and I don't know if those bikes have enough telemetry to figure it out. But even world class riders can make mistakes. I hope he makes a full recovery. I'm always rooting for him when I get to see him ride.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

That one marshal looks to be getting ready to take his helmet off. Pretty sure that's a no no after a crash.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              That one marshal looks to be getting ready to take his helmet off. Pretty sure that's a no no after a crash.
                              Absolutely, although from my angle the first looks to be checking airways and the second locking the helmet to prevent any movement. Maybe wishful thinking on my part but the boys up North know their onions when it comes to motorsports.
                              Last edited by Brendan W; 08-08-2015, 05:02 AM.
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous
                              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                              X