Mapping and Route Planning Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mapping and Route Planning Tips

Here are some Mapping tips tricks and links to help you plan that next rally, small group, or a solo run. If you have any good tips for Route planning post them to this thread and I will update this post to summarize all the great suggestions to come. I have not included all options as that would take up way too much space but if someone has a really good suggestion I will add it to this top post. I will not include those that I find inferior for instance Yahoo Maps = very low resolution images

Links:
    Google Maps Route Planning Demo
    Google Maps
    Google Earth Download and Install
    Flash Earth

TomTom GPS made for Bikers

Google Maps
    With the latest changes to Google Maps you can quickly create your route by putting in your starting point and destination. It will give you both text and zoomable/pannable maps including satellite imagery. Now here is the new part, you can grab the blue line and and drag it to a different route and it will atomically recalculate the route based on your new road and it does this on the fly as your dragging. You can click on the "Avoid Highways" at the top left of the text directions then it will give you directions to your destination avoiding the highways.

You can create stopping points along the route as well by right clicking on the map and selecting add a destination and Google Maps will update the directions to include that location in your route. Click on the "Hybrid" link on the top right of the map to see a map that includes an aerial view.

Now when you are all done on the top right of the map you can click on "Link to this Page" and mini-drop down window will appear that you can copy & paste to the forums or IM and share the route with others.

Google Earth 3D
    Google Earth is a free download which requires an installation and live internet connection in order to use it. Once you have it installed and operating you can type in an address and it will rotate and zoom in to the address. You can create multiple destinations and do a flyover from one address to another. There are multiple plugins that you can turn on or off including some trip and GPS programs and even Photo linking site called Panoramio which allows you to upload your photos and link them to a destination on the earth. It also is used world wide and if you enable them you will see many internet links which are linked to the map.
    Be aware Google Earth uses quite a bit of computer and internet resources to run but if you have the time and the power it is pretty cool.

Flash Earth
    Flash Earth is a Flash based internet site that allows you to quickly pan and zoom from a aerial view of the earth pulling graphics from multiple sites like Google Maps, Yahoo maps, Ask.com, and even Nasa images. Here as with the other programs you can do an address lookup but you can't actually create a route.

TomTom Rider
    TomTom Rider is a GPS based navigation system created specifically for motorcycles. This can be easily attached to most motorcycle handlebars and uses wireless bluetooth to a helmet mounted speaker for voice directions. You do not have to subscribe to any services or have a cell phone to use a GPS all you need to do is purchase the device. You can use the wireless bluetooth helmet speaker or use the display without the sound. It uses highly technical satellite triangulation methods to locate your position and updates the your map display about ever 1 second.
    This unit was designed to be operated using gloves and can be used to on the fly to create biker friendly routes (aka Avoid Highways), fastest routes, shortest routes, scenic routes, etc.. You can download preconfigured routes or share your routes with other TomTom users.
    You can choose to ignore the route or if you take a wrong turn or you just decide to go off the designated route the unit will automatically update your route from your current location with no button presses needed. If your shortest path to your original destination is to turn around and go back the unit will tell you so or if the shortest route is to continue on your current road it will update your route to include your current road.
    You can create a route and then have the unit simulate your ride and the display will simulate your ride including designated road speeds and get this including speeds that you will most likely travel on the road not just the posted speed limit.

Another bonus, if you so consider it a bonus, is that the bluetooth unit also works in conjunction with a bluetooth cell phone allowing you to accept incoming phone calls while traveling and as a safety feature you can only make outgoing calls while you're stopped. The units volume changes automatically in relation to your speed.

(If you want more details on how GPS - aka Global Positioning Systems work PM me and I will give you more details or I will create a separate thread with all the "How it works" and such.)
    No the satellites do not know where you are and the government can't track you using your GPS, your GPS unit knows where the satellites are and displays your position in relation to the GPS satellites.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2007, 08:50 AM.
Working...
X