Some tips for getting case guards on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some tips for getting case guards on.

Finally, after another difficult few hours this afternoon I managed to get the case guards on my 83 750. I thought I might share a few techniques I figured out.

1) Loosen off the bolts at the bottom and top engine mounts but don't remove them all at once.
    2) The bottom motor mount bolts have nuts that are tear shaped. The fatter part points up. The manual says they are not reusable but I couldn't get them locally so I reused them.
    3) Start with the bottom right guard. Remove the bolt and the nut will drop free. To get it back in position take a steel ruler and wrap the tip with Gorilla tape *(sticky side out)press the nut onto it pointed end facing down. Insert the nut up into the mount from directly underneath. This is a very tight fit and to gain some more room move the stator wires out of the way.
    4) The bolt comes with 2 washers. Remove one washer to compensate for the thickness of the guard attachment bracket. Screw in the bolt but don't tighten down.
    5) Repeat with the left side guard.
    6) Remove the single upper mount bolt, swing the guards up into position and replace the bolt with the one provided with the guards. I.e. bolt goes through left side upper guard attachment bracket through engine case to the right side mount.
    7) Tighten everything down and attach the mid point frame connectors (u-bolts).

Done.

It can be a real fiddly job especially with the lower mounting bolts especially the right side as there is very little clearance as the outer exhaust pipe runs right under the mount. A lot of patience is needed ( and a fair bit of swearing)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Spyug

* Gorilla tape is like duct tape on steroids....very grippy. Available from the usual home repair stores.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2009, 08:43 PM.
Working...
X