DIY Tachometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Tachometer

So I was contemplating a DIY tachometer, because I removed mine, and now need one for diagnostics... Talking to an electrical engineer here at work about the circuit I stumbled upon a work around when asking how the circuit worked... I asked why cant I just use my multimeter to read the Hz??? We ran out to the parkinglot to try... took an old lead, stripped of the end, placed it nead plug wire 1 of my jeep and viola. it works... kind of.... need to do some math since Hz is measuring the pulses in seconds and we want minutes.... so multiply by 60... Hope this helps...
    -Mark
    Boston, MA
    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
    sigpic
    1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Another trick is to measure frequency between two stator legs. I do this frequently to set RPM on generators but works on bikes. One simply needs to consider the stator. Rather than doing the math, one can run the bike in gear and note frequency at a speed for which the RPM is known and then divide.

Comment

Originally posted by mvalenti View Post
      ... I asked why cant I just use my multimeter to read the Hz??? ...
      GREAT idea.

Will have to try that when I get home. I think both of my meters will read Hz.

Will also make it MUCH easier to see very small differences when tuning the mixture screws.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Didn't work so well on my mutimeter, it wasn't shielded as well as the one at work.
        -Mark
        Boston, MA
        Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
        sigpic

Comment

Didn't work so well on my mutimeter, it wasn't shielded as well as the one at work.
          Not only that but your jeep doesn't use a wasted spark system like the GS does.
          Where your jeeps number one plug only fires when it's time to fire, your number one plug on your GS fires on both the firing stroke and non firing stroke. When it's not firing, the number 4 cylinder is.

Comment

yep, that too... darn...

I have one of these, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/actron-dw...78S6078486508P and wanted to try to use it but cant figure out to hook it up on a bike.
            -Mark
            Boston, MA
            Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
            sigpic

Comment

yep, that too... darn...

I have one of these, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/actron-dw...78S6078486508P and wanted to try to use it but cant figure out to hook it up on a bike.
              I've had two of those over the years/ a great tool. Try attachimg the leads to the 12 volt coil connections and set the switch to rpm's

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                Not only that but your jeep doesn't use a wasted spark system like the GS does. ...
                Doesn't mean it won't work, only that it will read twice as fast as it should.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Doesn't mean it won't work, only that it will read twice as fast as it should.

Twice as fast as it should, which is half as fast as actual rpm without wasted spark. So for a GS, multiply Hz by 60 to get rpm. Check?

I really need this to work, since I'm one of those who can't hear the rpm changes when adjusting idle mix.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks and much appreciated, Was thinking the same thing, but hoping I wouldnt have to strip the insulation back to expose the bare wire.
                    -Mark
                    Boston, MA
                    Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      Twice as fast as it should, which is half as fast as actual rpm without wasted spark. So for a GS, multiply Hz by 60 to get rpm. Check?

I really need this to work, since I'm one of those who can't hear the rpm changes when adjusting idle mix.
                      WHEW! I thought I was the only one!!!
                      -Mark
                      Boston, MA
                      Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X