Emergency fork disassembly tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emergency fork disassembly tool

Ok, we'll taking your forks apart isn't really an emergency operation however there I was in my garage an hour ago wanting to take my forks apart.
    I had the 8mm allen wrench, I even found a 19mm nut or (3/4") nut I think.
    I did not however have any all thread to double nut at the end to make the inner fork tool.
    Basically all I did was take one of those masonry concrete form stakes and turn it point up on the concert floor and set the nut on the point and commenced to beat the nut on with a hand sledge.
    I imagine any solid steel rod could be used and tapered to a suitable point to smash into the nut.
    I realize some of the Allen bolts on the bottom of the forks are nasty tight and frozen so this may not always work for all bikes.
    I just clamped the protruding steel rod in the bench vice and loosen the 8mm allen bolt. Mine were pretty tight. I had to use a long box end wrench on the Allen wrench to break it free and the nut on the homemade tool held.
    Not a trick people around the world will be in awe over but it worked for me and my forks are apart awaiting new paint on the lowers and fork seals. Great victory! Lol
    So if you are jonesin to take your forks apart and don't have the allthread.....

Working...
X