Cam chain tensioner seal from Honda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain tensioner seal from Honda

I just received a 16X10x4mm seal for my cam chain tensioner 'knob shaft'. I've never been impressed by the stock ones as they seem to lack tension and leak at the first opportunity. A little bit of shrinkage and they hardly contact the shaft at all. They're also becoming harder to find.

I found that a Honda seal - part number 91206-333-003 - that I think does the clutch cover on a CB350, 550 and 1000, has the same dimensions and is readily available. It also goes by the updated parts number of 91259-VMO-000 which fits a current ATV; that's the one I got. It's actually 4.5mm thick but, as the housing it sits in is 5mm deep, it's no problem. The cost is under $5.

I just fitted one and it has a lot more flexibility and preload than the original. Considering that the shaft never makes more than a few degrees rotation in its lifetime, the ability to deal with vibration and the rather wobbly shaft seems to be a good trait. I haven't as yet run the CCT to see if it leaks, as the motor won't be run until the snow goes away, but I can't see how there's any downside. The seal has a Honda logo on it and the package says made in Japan so it should be good and fresh rubber.

I slightly chamfered the edge of the shaft so that it slipped through more easily without damaging the seal; just a minute with a safe edge file. The seal is a nice tight fit in the housing, which is something I couldn't say about the Suzuki ones I've used.
    '82 GS450T
Working...
X