Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiegler on a 1981 GS1100e

Just wanted to share my experience.

I bought the 81 gs1100e and it had been pretty clean engine, has pods and aftermarket exhaust. But brakes were a little mushy.

Well they've got the stock brake lines, 41 year old brake lines. So quick fix lets get some stainless steel on there. Bought the kit from Spiegler and very quickly found out the line was a little short. Bike is stock but to get the front brake line to reach the master had to loosen the master and move it in toward center about an inch.

So called Spiegler told them the situation, first question was is it stock, to best of my knowledge including comparing it to pics from the 1981 media kits it looks stock, the lines definitely are. I mentioned to him they do advertise it as one kit for the 1980 - 1983 models and some of those later models had different handlebars.

Anyway, they asked for some pictures, and measurements because maybe the line wasn't made to spec. Took the pics, sent them in, next day Spiegler calls me up, wants to know the center to center measurement and they'll send me a new line. Oh and of course major improvement with the lines installed. Still a 40 year old single caliper brake system (working that too), but big improvement.

So I'd call it a good news story. Think maybe I'll order a kit for the Vulcan now as well.
    2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 (original owner)
    1981 Suzuki GS1100 EX (bought 2019)
Working...
X