Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 GS550 Fork Seal Replacement

Hello!

So, after finally getting the front brake rebuild project completely squared away, on the very first ride after it was done I happened to look down at the caliper, admiring how great the front brakes felt, only to see that I'm leaking fork oil all over the place.

I've read the fork seal replacement tutorial on Bike Cliff's site, and read through several angry pages of discussion on how to properly remove the seals. My question to all you more experienced wrenchers is what else should I be replacing or looking at when I tear into this? I assume I should generally replace all plastic parts I come into contact with during any maintenance on a bike this old, but I'd love to hear from others on what I might or might not look at while I'm doing this particular repair.

Thanks a ton!
    1977 GS550

Springs for starters. Most likely yours are weak and sagging. Depending on the condition of them you might need to replace the oil seal lock ring that holds the seal in place as well. Other components may or may not need to be replaced but it will depend on the wear and tare the bike has seen.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

In looking at the parts catalog there's a upper and lower spring, neither of which are available at any of the parts sites I've checked. Is there an aftermarket alternative if I want to replace the springs?
      1977 GS550

Comment

If I were to do just the seal and seal clip would that be parts 9 and 10 on this list?

1977 GS550

Comment

Originally posted by cb1ocker View Post
          If I were to do just the seal and seal clip would that be parts 9 and 10 on this list?

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...9595#sch271231
          Yes. You only need to replace the retaining spring if it's really rusty.

There are a number of after market springs out there but if your bike is low mileage, you're happy with the ride and they measure in spec then you could reuse your old springs.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I haven't noticed anything odd with the suspension, but I just started riding this year, so I'm not sure I'd know what it was supposed to feel like.

I do know that when I had it at the stealership getting the carbs rebuilt they also replaced the steering stem bearings, I'm guessing if they could have gotten more money from me for a bad suspension they would have mentioned it
            1977 GS550

Comment

Working...
            X